Thread: Question about threshold on E-trac

Question about threshold on E-trac

Often I get nulls right next to a good target sound, numbers jumping.

What is most likely?

1) Two targets one iron the other good.

or

2) An iron target acting as a good target.

Is this a "got to dig"
    *Missouri* E-trac Sunray X1* Oldest 1836 1/4 Real* Oldest Silver 1853 Half Dime * Nicest 1861 Seated Liberty* Gold Pocket Watch* 1904 Worlds Fair Ring*

Nulls are definitely iron. Squeaky nulls are usually iron falsing. The dilemma is what if its a coin next to a nail???? When you get a squeaky null, pinpoint the target and then turn the coil 90 degrees and see if the squeaky spot moves an inch or so. Also the numbers will jump from say 12-45 to 16-45 (or so). Next consider the depth. A coin at 6 or 7 inches will usually SCREAM "Here I am!" A lot of those squeaky nulls will be 4 to 6 inches deep. I usually skip those signals. After I dug about 100 nails I caught on that there is no coin even though it sounds like one (sorta).
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Thanks Dave that makes sense. The ones I'm hearing are shallow.
    *Missouri* E-trac Sunray X1* Oldest 1836 1/4 Real* Oldest Silver 1853 Half Dime * Nicest 1861 Seated Liberty* Gold Pocket Watch* 1904 Worlds Fair Ring*

When you get that null, switch screens to a completely open one. The null should turn to a grunt (iron). Like Dave said, the hardest ones are the nails that false a high tone. Makes you really want to dig them. But I suggest trying to guess what the target is going to be and then digging them to see if your correct. Do this until you get the difference between iron falsing and a real non ferrous target. One of the things I liked about the E Trac was that it could detect a non ferrous target while the iron next to it was nulling.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    When you get that null, switch screens to a completely open one. The null should turn to a grunt (iron). Like Dave said, the hardest ones are the nails that false a high tone. Makes you really want to dig them. But I suggest trying to guess what the target is going to be and then digging them to see if your correct. Do this until you get the difference between iron falsing and a real non ferrous target. One of the things I liked about the E Trac was that it could detect a non ferrous target while the iron next to it was nulling.
    Good post!
    Contact us for fastest and best service around!
    We will beat any price or deal. Have questions on a machine?
    Bart@BigBoysHobbies.net or Call or text 405-206-9010
    Minelab Partner of the year award for the USA 2012. Minelab Customer service award 2012.