Thread: V3i and black sand

V3i and black sand

OK experts here is one I have not heard answered.

I am started hunting an old CCC camp in gold mining area of North GA . Not looking for the flake gold, but know that the steams are full of magnetic iron. The area has a stream running through the center of it and you can see the black sand. When I hunted here, every swing ends with a -94 or -94. Remove the sunray, changed coils, and it did not go away. I went over to a beach area where the have imported sand and the issue went away.

Locktroc seemed to make it worse. Autotrac was better. Had a heck of a time finding a quite area to balance.

I'm thinking that I am picking up some magnetic iron in the soil. I'm using Jack's correlate program. I backed it down from 15 RX to 12 but still there falsing. Is this noise something you just have to live with or is there more things to adjust.

I really have not had to deal with what I think is magnetic soil before.

I don't use a V3i (just a dfx) but many of the features are very similar , Joe what coils have you used so far ??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Hello Joe!

Your tracking settings is your clue to what is happening . You have some higher mineralized soil it sounds like. Slow your swing speed down. Try using 7.5 High (High Pass Filtering) or maybe even 10.0 Hz Band Pass. Use the stock, or the 6x10 Eclipse coil. Remember my program is designed for coins (higher conductive) targets. You might want to consider a relic based program (mixed mode) for that hunting area. There could be all kind of goodies scattered about.

Jack
    Last edited by CyberSage; 07-07-2014 at 06:44 PM.
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer