Thread: A couple of Merc,s and a Badge, Walker

A couple of Merc,s and a Badge, Walker

Yesterday (June 30th)I went door knockin and a nice older gentleman said I could hunt his yard. Its a older house with a huge yard. He said the house is 100+ yrs old and I was hoping for a few injuns. I hunted for a couple of hrs and ended up with 2
    1945 merc,s ,5 Wheaties, few clad, and a nice old badge that says 27th Natl Incampment Indianapolis 1893.I need to research more. I went back today July 1st after supper. It was still 83 and very humid. I started hunting the other side of the yard, still hoping I would find an injun or two. I found a wheatie, azinkoln at 6" 12-35 36 thinking it might be a injun. a couple clad dimes,
    clad quarter, a gold colored tag(thought at first it might be gold). I was sweating and it was hot. Then I got a 7"deep 49 50 conductive high pitch sqeal,dug a large plug,it was still in the hole. It was down in the bottom at the side. I dug around the signal and pulled the dirt out. There it was a 1943 walker.I scratched it! I was soaked but it was worth it. I still have about a third of the yard to do. hopfully I,ll find some more silver and injuns! Happy Hunting!
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Nice bunch of finds. One of the Mercs looks like new. Shame about the scratch on the Walker. We've all done it. Badge is great.
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

Congrats on the nice silver coins, especially the Walking Liberty Half! It's always a thrill to see big silver in the dirt!

I think my favorite is the 1893 G.A.R. badge though. That's a great find! I did a Google search but didn't find any like it.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Beautiful finds That badge is very cool!!! Yep we have all scratched some nice coins. You got her good though I usually scratch mine when I get tired, but sometimes they just pinpoint off center. That yard has potential. I hate them deep zincolns, they are so close to the Indian numbers that you have to dig them. I have had Indians range from 12-30 to 12-35 depending on soil, depth and wear and tear of the coin. They also bounce down too, on the first set of numbers like 06-34, 01-34, etc... Dig anything that has the second number in the low to mid 30's.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Excellent job door knocking. It paid off big time for you. The walker is really nice and that badge looks awesome. Let us know if you come up with any history on it.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Congrats there Jim. Some sweet silver in that pile
    Just one more Beep!

That's some nice detecting. Too bad about the Walker but at least you had the thrill of seeing big silver in the hole. Hope that the rest of the yard will produce some more keepers for you.

That GAR badge is really cool.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Veteran Member
    Nice silver and badge. I think the badge is what would be handed out to Civil War vets at anniversary celebrations. They vary from state to state and year to year. Usually a pin with a ribbon attached. Great find none the less. Awesome. Safe & HH

Wow! That yard is holding some nice old keepers!
    Of course I too think the badge is outstanding!!
    And everybody LOVES BIG silver!!
    Congrats!!

A couple of years ago I found a accual G.A.R metal. Only the drop part was there. But it remains one of my favorite finds.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Excellent bunch of finds you got there and a big congrats on the big silver I really like that badge you found there, way cool

Some nice finds that walker is an awesome find im sure your sick about the scratch but I'd take it
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer