Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i broke down and made myself a ring from a Morgan

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    great job. maybe you missed your calling as a jeweler. Thanks for posting!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Well my mandrel and dapping block showed up today so I gave it a try. Here are my first two attempts with clad quarters. It will probably take me a while to practice before I try a silver but this seems like something I could enjoy. I'll definitely be looking for a press.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Very impressive sir! I've got a new workbench in the shop that might be calling my name when winter hits. Is there a training video you recommend to learn how to do this?
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Skamaniac View Post
    Very impressive sir! I've got a new workbench in the shop that might be calling my name when winter hits. Is there a training video you recommend to learn how to do this?
    Ska...try checking on youtube for Fencekid, and adam mcskinny. those guys have some good vids on how this is done. i learned a lot from both of those guys.
    and google coin rings, look for a ryan oshea . in my opinion he produces flawless immaculate rings. of all sorts, types, sizes etc. i just hope one day to be anywhere near his quality of work . good luck getting started! if ya have questions, email me at Hookyisbackxx@aol.com.

btw Skamaniac...i have another pic to show you. its my morgan next to one i made for a customer. he LOVES his new ring lol.

the 1921 ring is the customers.

Veteran Member
    Man those are fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    Ska...try checking on youtube for Fencekid, and adam mcskinny. those guys have some good vids on how this is done. i learned a lot from both of those guys.
    and google coin rings, look for a ryan oshea . in my opinion he produces flawless immaculate rings. of all sorts, types, sizes etc. i just hope one day to be anywhere near his quality of work . good luck getting started! if ya have questions, email me at Hookyisbackxx@aol.com.
    Teriffic! Thanks for the help.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Very nice rings ! Congrats on this nice job you did !! Must look awesome on a finger !

Those are very nice rings. I think I might give it a try this winter. Very Cool, Great job
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

If I ever get another Morgan (er... never found one but got a couple of them !), I might get in touch with you ! This is really neat !

I also discovered the Hobo rings this year, and I think they are awesome too.

thanks for all the nice comments everyone! i get excited when i make a real nice ring, and always want to share it with others lol. who woulda thought an old cajun like me could do something neat like this? hahaha .HH everyone!!

After seeing those beautiful rings hook, I gave it a shot myself. After a lot of trial and error I am getting the hang of it. At least I am comfortable enough to work on silver halves. Not brave enough or energetic enough to try a Morgan though. Here is a couple pics of the growing inventory. The two gold coins are French 2 and 5 franc coins. They will need to be sealed to keep from discoloring the finger. It is a fun hobby and hopefully I can sell a couple here and there to offset detecting costs. Thanks for looking.
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronandari View Post
    After seeing those beautiful rings hook, I gave it a shot myself. After a lot of trial and error I am getting the hang of it. At least I am comfortable enough to work on silver halves. Not brave enough or energetic enough to try a Morgan though. Here is a couple pics of the growing inventory. The two gold coins are French 2 and 5 franc coins. They will need to be sealed to keep from discoloring the finger. It is a fun hobby and hopefully I can sell a couple here and there to offset detecting costs. Thanks for looking.
    wow for a newcomer to ringing, you sure have progressed a long way! i think those rings look fantastic! i see a benjamin franklin ring in there..from what i see you did really great on it! but do me a favor...dont let it be known just how easy ringing is hehehe shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. it'll be our secret ok?

Wow! Very nice. Can I send you some crusty Large Cents to be made into rings ?
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Wow! Very nice. Can I send you some crusty Large Cents to be made into rings ?
    Sure Lodge Scent. I did one for you this morning. Here are the before and after pictures.