Thread: New Pequot hunt and a pretty decent day

New Pequot hunt and a pretty decent day

I had a pretty good day at the Pequot hunt today. I was worried that these fields would stop producing, since we have been over them a bunch of times. But because of how the land is situated, it is very difficult to go over every square inch of the place. So I decided to go after areas that were on the fringe of where we think the column of men ended, giving us some boundaries. I did this for the last 3 hunts and it produced just a few round ball and maybe a scrap of brass or two. Today was the exception to the rule I started slow with just a round ball and a nice cloak button, but soon added an odd brass object that I have found there 2 times before. If anyone has any guesses on the thin long brass piece, let me know. Later I switched to another section and hit a hot zone. First hit was a possible lower section of a point, then possibly my 3rd Jesuit ring. This one is circular in design. I can't rub it so I wasn't able to see for sure, but it looks the part. Then a thimble (2nd one), more round ball, more scrap brass, and finally a cylindrical shot. (3rd one from this site). A couple more buttons round off today's hunt. I expected meager finds but had a day better that I expected. Tomorrow is another story

Name:  008.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  125.5 KBName:  007.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  121.7 KBName:  006.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  93.2 KBName:  005.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  115.0 KBName:  004.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  100.5 KBName:  003.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  109.0 KBName:  002.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  64.0 KBName:  001.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  54.7 KB
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Very fine day. Funny how they just seem to produce and produce.
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Good thinking on getting into the fringe areas. Some nice finds and I think you are right about the ring. You stated that you can't rub the ring, why??? Rules of the group you are helping out??
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Seems like you are very comfortable with that machine. Was the ring brass George? Nice job!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Always enjoy reading your Pequot hunt results. Outstanding day . Were you still swinging the GPX on this hunt ?
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

I would like to know what the brass pieces I find are, too George. I found about three of them. What I found were tubular and the metal was folded to have a seam down the length. Most of the ends were...crimped.. as when you fold a piece of pipe and it breaks at the fold. One had the non-'crimped' end with two rings. I know I found one at the cellar holes tuesday and the one with the rings I found in a park with Lee. It's like a 1/4" outter diameter and 6-8" long. Yours just has been oxidized more.

That is awesome George. What's the story with cylindrical shot? Why was it used instead of a round ball?
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Nice job of saving that history!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Thanks everyone. Al, we can't rub anything because it has to go to the lab to be conserved. One of the points originally found at the fort years ago, was looked over at the lab and had some kind of resin on the point, possibly to help keep whatever wrapping is holding the point secure. If we had rubbed it, we would have lost that bit of information. So no rubbing anything. It makes for boring pictures

Drew, Yep it's brass. t looks like a toy ring you would get as a Cracker Jack prize.

Frank, Yep, the GPX. I had it surgically attached to my shoulder, so they could not take it back I was using a large DD coil, so I could at least discriminate the shallow iron.

Jeff, People have always experimented with that type of shot. I believe it is still used in some types of competitions. Some say it stays truer when fired, others say it was used in battle to tumble and inflict more damage. I think the guy just brought what he had at home, in addition to the allotted rations they were issued. You're a long way from England if you run out of lead

awesome relics dude!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Thanks Dave.

Today's hunt yielded 5 round ball and 2 scraps of brass. I'm posting pics of all of them so that you can see what we look for on this type of project. If you ever have a chance to volunteer in assisting archaeologists, you will be amazed how happy you will be if you find a musket ball or a scrap of brass Things that we find and usually don't think twice about, become part of the story here. Once plotted on a map, you can tell a lot about a particular event. Just a lot of fun to do.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  103.9 KBName:  002.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  99.2 KBName:  003.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  103.7 KBName:  004.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  100.6 KBName:  005.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  53.9 KBName:  006.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  73.4 KBName:  007.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  89.7 KB

Awesome finds George. I like the leaf idea for the photos- gives it good contrast to see the relic more clearly. Just stay away from the poison ivy leaves.

Love the relics and love the old musket balls.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Veteran Member
    Again thanks for taking the time to bring back the history. Safe & HH