Thread: CJ vs Relic Mode on V3i

Question CJ vs Relic Mode on V3i

Just wanted to get an opinion what might be a better program to use at cellar holes.

I've been using CJ for sometime now and done very well but wondered what I might be missing using Relic Mode.

As a base let's use Fox's CJ vs Fox's Relic as the base for comparison and go from there.

Thanks in advance,
    Roger
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Roger to be honest , I don't know what the difference is between "Fox's" two programs . I do know that a relic program probably has quite a bit less discrimination than a coin an jewelry one . will you be digging a bit more iron in the relic one , yes but also probably hearing more deeper "whispers" too which could be smaller good targets.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks Dan.This is what Fox came back with.

My C&J Program and Relic Programs are very similar. The Relic Program uses a faster RD because it is optimized for the 6X10"DD, which I prefer for woods, vines, etc. Same / Same for my C&J .... I like the 6X10"DD for ball fields, parks, etc. If I'm open-field hunting, I'll increase the RD and go to the 10"DD or 950 concentric as conditions allow / dictate.

My Relic programs reject a bit more of high-end ferrous, as I like to focus on bullets / buttons / buckles and the "better stuff".

One version runs in Correlate mode which is even more aggressive in iron rejection.

If you put the settings side by side and compare them, you can easily see for yourself what's different, and if you understand the effect of the settings and the objectives of each program you'll see why they're set as they are.

Your patch / coil / hunting style / objectives may be different from mine. If so, you should change the appropriate settings to accommodate as necessary. That's the great thing about V3i .... You can optimize performance !!

Hope this is helpful.
    Cob.

My Album

Hey Rebel!
    I have been out of town for the last week, and just saw your post. I will look at both programs, and share my thoughts with you. Fox does a great job on his programs, but with the understanding that location can change the whole picture (ground mineralization strength). Give me a day to recover, and I will get back here to post.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Hey Jack! Hope you were out having fun!

Totally understand the whole location thing, as ground mineralization is different across the country.

One thing I'm thinking on doing is turning off bottle cap reject. Currently I run at 4. My guess this is a type of disc, and seeing I'm hitting cellar holes it might be a good idea to turn it off to maybe get a little more depth, although it probably doesn't affect depth too much.

Attached are my settings. For the -VDI's I accept, I have the tone set to 0 so at least I'm not discing them out to affect depth.

Thanks in advance for sharing you knowledge!
    Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by The Rebel; 07-30-2014 at 08:45 PM.
    Cob.

My Album

I wouldn't run correlate when hunting cellar holes because you might discriminate that cache of coins out. If you do run it I'd set it down to -92, which pretty much defeats the purpose.