Thread: Roscoe Turner's 57 Flying Corps - 7/30

Roscoe Turner's 57 Flying Corps - 7/30

With this awesome weather, I'm sneaking in a few swings here and there this week.

Stopped after work today at an old one room schoolhouse that sits on a decent sized lot, had 45 minutes to play. No doubt the place has been hit to death (saw a guy swinging there a week or two ago). Didn't take long to figure out that yep, it's kinda hammered. Soooo, said heck with it and worked the perimeter hoping nobody wanted to swing near the chain link fence.

Made the right choice. A Col Roscoe Turner's 57 Flying Corps pin right off the bat. From the 30's, and offered as silver or gold plated. Don't think mine is gold. Gold hates me too.
    10 minutes later I joined the Wheatie Club. Crusty or just toasted, think it's 1926. Looks like I have my first candidate to experiment cleaning on.
    Sorry for the lousy pic. Should have taken the macro shots outside in the sun, but I was cooking dinner at the same time.

Name:  MRose1.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  74.9 KB

Interweb pic:
    Name:  ColRoscoe.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  52.2 KB
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 07-30-2014 at 08:30 PM.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Nice finds and good choice to check the perimeter. Good wheat to do your experimental cleaning on. The pin is really cool.
    Hope to see some posts with you and Rob hunting together.

V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

if its the 1-room school house i'm thinking of , you did very well to find that .

very interesting relic Brian and you cleaned it up pretty well too.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

It probably is Dan. Set to the right and back on the property. Only had to drive 15ft out of my way to hit the place, so had nothing to lose except a penny and the Colonel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Brian, that pin is very cool. Any info on its story? 1930s you say? I couldn't find anything after a quick search other than Turner's bio. Congrats!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

It was promotional stuff from Heinz Drew. This is what I found, has a couple pics too.
    http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?Auction=200&ItemNo=89688

I should have posted more about it, sorry, but figured all of you have one by now. Wish the pin was still attached to the back.

Veteran Member
    Congrats for the finds. Like the pin. Safe & HH

Great job, That 57 pin is sweet. Congrats
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Congrats on the finds and esp at that place. I live like 6 min from there, well, Google says 10 min. I'm sure the wheat front will clean up well. The back is a little toasty. Depends on which side was facing up in the ground to take the water and chemicals leaching down. Slowly finds get better and better. Except the few times where research fails and the place u thought was good really isnt.

Darn state is the size of a postage stamp Jim, and I'm late to the game. I've been driving by that place for 25 years ironically, and have family within a minute of the place too. Like everyone else, wish I found this hobby (insert favorable number here) years ago.

Man, nice find on that pin! Love it.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.