Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple of hunts and some nice buttons

Couple of hunts and some nice buttons

Well, the Pequot hunts have slowed down both in number of days out there, and quantity of good finds. I did a Thursday and Friday hunt at the location where the conical points came from 2 seasons ago. Total finds for the two days - good vs bad? 30 shot gun shells, 102 bullet casings, 85 22cal lead slugs. That's the bad . The good was only 3 musket balls. We need to move on to the next areas soon. Since there was no hunt today, I decided to try and get some coppers at a site that I found my best Constellatio Nova copper at. I spent about 5 hours there and did not score a single coin. But that's OK since I did get two military buttons. I forgot that this is also the site that some nice Excelsior buttons came from and it also gave up Eagle buttons in the past too. Today I got one of each. The Eagle buttons don't hold up too well in this soil, but this one is decent enough. The Excelsior buttons on the other hand, have had a lot of silver plate left on them. Today's is no exception, it cleaned up excellent. For those people interested in what I'm digging to get these finds, I'm showing them all. I did use some discrimination on the GPX today, but also tested the bad targets by digging a bunch of them in order to verify the discriminator is not getting rid of good targets too. The pictures are typical of what you will dig using a pulse machine with limited discrimination. I'm getting better at it and believe it or not, there is a reduction in iron targets dug since last week I didn't expect much but was really surprised at what I did get today. Next time out I am going to see how many buttons are left at the button site where 600 buttons came out of there to date.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  72.0 KBName:  002.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  65.6 KBName:  009.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  54.3 KBName:  007.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  58.8 KB
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Good lord man, that excelsior button doesn't even look dug! What a great find. Congrats and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

What a beautiful Excelsior button...My oh my!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

I knew when I saw it come out of the dirt that it had a ton of silvering left on it. The others from this site held us just as well. Here's a picture before I cleaned it, that I forgot to include. The back even has some silver left on it too.

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  54.8 KBName:  010.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  60.1 KB

Man, you are dedicated! Worth it though if you're pulling out buttons like those. Congrats. Also see the square nut with a hole in it on the top pic. Those sound like true treasure in the ground don't they? Thx for posting.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

George, that New York Militia Excelsior button is simply breathtaking!

If I ever found something like that I would stare at it non-stop for a week!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Oh Boy! Sweet ox knob
    That button is dreamy Nice going George!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

George, nice finds. I will give the shortened Dan version: sometimes you get lucky at a site.... said as far as how long you spent without finding a coin. The buttons make up for it tho. Esp the excelsior. This is less iron?? The pointer I have is pulse but obvi pointers don't have discrimination. Even tho it's pulse it will still set off the frequency sytle detector if it's too close. Didn't know you had a new machine that you were learning. Well..as you told me.. keep going man.
    Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Oh Boy! Sweet ox knob
    Hahaha, you would pick that item out of all the finds....

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Next time out I am going to see how many buttons are left at the button site where 600 buttons came out of there to date.
    That is a beauty for sure! 600 hundred buttons from one site! George, are there previous posts describing those hunts? Sounds like it would be interesting reading.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    That is a beauty for sure! 600 hundred buttons from one site! George, are there previous posts describing those hunts? Sounds like it would be interesting reading.
    Thanks. There should be some posts floating around the web somewhere I tried to find some on here, but they may have been from before this forum was up and running. We figured that these sites were a place that may have been a cloth recycling area. Almost all the buttons were flat buttons. Very few pewter and only 1 military (I think), came out of there. The better buttons probably were resold. Some days I came home with 50 buttons . Next free day, I'm in there to see if any are left.

Quote Originally Posted by BTV Digger View Post
    Man, you are dedicated! Worth it though if you're pulling out buttons like those. Congrats. Also see the square nut with a hole in it on the top pic. Those sound like true treasure in the ground don't they? Thx for posting.

John
    Thanks John. That is a regular hunt for me. I dig a lot of holes. I always have I try to be efficient and can find, pinpoint, dig a target rather quickly. Pinpointers help a lot!! Covering a lot of ground in the least amount of time has always allowed me to find more relics. As for those square iron targets They sound as good as them iron rings do.

No words to describe that button besides DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!! I can only dream. Incredible pull!!!
    I <3 colonial relics!

What a gorgeous excelsior button George. Looks like you're getting to know your machine. Congrats on the great digs
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Glad to see that place is still producing sweet looking buttons
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Nice job cleaning it,SWEET

Veteran Member
    Great finds and glad to see that you continue on the site. Congrats.

beautiful!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Congratulations on an absolutely awesome button George.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

WTG George on the Buttons!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Thanks. There should be some posts floating around the web somewhere I tried to find some on here, but they may have been from before this forum was up and running..
    You may have started it before this forum, but there were some posts, and you took me there once..and I didn't know you before this forum. So there are some somewhere.

Awesome button
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC