Thread: First Find

Candidate Member

First Find

I joined the forum this week and introduced myself. Thanks for all the kind words!
    We are installing a handicap entry at our club and the contractor dug out the grass in a 3' x 5' area in front of the door. Last night while I was waiting for him to arrive to go over the details of the job, I whipped out my machine and said "why not?"

Within 10 minutes at about a 4" depth pulled out a near mint 1946 Roosevelt dime! Not a big deal as far as treasure goes but man was that fun! Went home and showed the old lady and my daughter and they had the "really, for this you interrupted Undercover Boss?" look. So I will gush on the forum and leave the discovery announcements to people that appreciate it!
    For the troglodytes, that have no culture and sense of adventure,

Sam
    Last edited by SmileySam; 08-15-2014 at 08:31 AM.
    "It's NEVER too late to have a happy childhood!"

Your first find was a silver dime? That's really something! Not too many people can say that. Many people hunt for weeks or even months before they find their first silver coin. It was very wise of you to think of searching that area where the grass had been dug out.

As for the lack of enthusiasm from your wife and daughter, I get that same look no matter what exciting piece of treasure I show them!

Congrats on your first find and your first silver coin!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Elite Member
    That's a good find. Welcome to the forum from the Springfield, MA area.
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Terrific! Congrats on your first find and silver
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Congrats on your first silver... one of the most beautiful things is silver peeking out from the dirt.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Nice silver, you just missed a Mercury dime by one year! I still tell the wife what I found and she is very good at looking like she is as enthused as I am Give it some time. In a couple of years they may even hear what you are saying
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Congrats on getting silver your first time out! As Tony said, most of us take weeks if not months to get our first silver. My wife isn't very enthused when I show her my finds so now I tell her wild lies about how they are worth "hundreds of dollars." She thinks I find about $50K of stuff every year. I'll just never sell anything! Best wishes and HH, Dave. p.s. we really like pictures (even bad ones) on this forum.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Congrats on the silver. The last Roosevelt I found was a 46, but the first silver was a 41 washington. Maybe they made a lot of the first year. idk.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    My wife isn't very enthused when I show her my finds so now I tell her wild lies about how they are worth "hundreds of dollars." She thinks I find about $50K of stuff every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    As for the lack of enthusiasm from your wife and daughter, I get that same look no matter what exciting piece of treasure I show them!
    I am lucky, the miss happens to appreciate whatever COINS I find. She just tells me to find more. Now some of the other stuff is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    p.s. we really like pictures (even bad ones) on this forum.
    Was this a stab at Rob?

Veteran Member
    Congrats on the rosie. Safe & HH

Congrats on your first silver . Television and video games have stolen the detecting
    desire from all my family members except my Granddaughter . My wife never had it
    but she likes to see all the stuff I find .

WTG on your 1st find....a silver. Wait till you start finding gold or silver rings, trust me the enthusiasm will then be there.

Did some one mention.......pictures.......
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member
    I find more Mercuries then Rosies but Rosies always seem to turn up when I hit a milestone or goal number. Anything silver in the hole is a good thing. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Veteran Member
    Welcome to the forum. Nice job on your first find.

Congrats on your first Silver. It will always be the one you remember the most.
    Good Luck finding many more.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos