Thread: Cellar Holes at Walden Pond

Cellar Holes at Walden Pond

Hi AD,
    We just got back from a day trip to Concord, MA and had a blast visiting the "Shot Heard 'Round the World" site, Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, and Henry David Thoreau's cabin site on Walden Pond. Thoreau is my all-time fav author ...BUT...as we walked through his now wooded bean field I immediately noticed a cellar hole right in the middle of it. I read the book three times, but before I was into metal detecting, and the fact he actually mentions these cellar holes didn't register with me. He even names the families that lived there. My thoughts quickly turned to MDing fantasies. Can you imagine finding one of Thoreau's coins?! ...Or even a nail from his cabin...that would be my best find ever! Funny, now I think about it, I bet many of you would rather detect the old north bridge battle site...but that didn't cross my mind
    Hope you all had a productive day, Drew
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by OxShoeDrew; 08-16-2014 at 03:42 PM.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

The town of Concord is like a trip back in time almost with its tiny narrow streets and colonial homes and shops , I've been to the bridge and even detected a nature preserve area (with permission of course) very close to there that had some cellars of homes that stood during that event and during our independence .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Nice trip Drew! An old CW Reenacting buddy of mine works for the NPS up there. Took us all over the place as well as going down Battle Road.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Hey Drew, why don't you ask whoever is in charge if they are ever interested in having a university do some excavating? Then you can offer up your services to detect it for them.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Drew, I grew up in Lexington and our house was right on the path between Boston and Lexington (Mass Ave). If only I had a detector then.....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Roger, those reenactors were there yesterday at the old north bridge. Did a good job too... Al, I often wish I was into metal detecting years ago, even in my neighborhood. George, I look around their website, see who's in charge. Thanks Guys.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Great trip Drew. One of my favorite authors as well. Maine Woods, Week on Concord and Merrimack....
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."