Thread: A short trip with MangoAve Saturday, and a quick swing Sunday

A short trip with MangoAve Saturday, and a quick swing Sunday

Last week was pure evil at work, so hadn't thought about whatI was doing this past weekend.

Had been in touch with Jim, and with Dan's previous blessings, we met up Saturday and I showed him a couple well played holes 10 minutes from my hut. Total bust for me other than crunk, but Jim squeaked out the shoe buckle piece.
    After that we took a ride and checked out a current school he looked up that showed a possible old school site on the edge of the property. Didn't find any proof yet, but the place was polluted with clad, pull tabs, and clearly never been detected with coins coming up from 4". Only had an hour to poke around, but clearly he's got a nice spot to whack clad when bored.

Sunday had an hour and change to play, and I hit a school in town in the older section. Hit some more clad including a couple wheaties, and also found signs of habitation. My 1'st razor, a Chicago Lock Company key (2154 stamped on it if it's yours), and some kid's sandal keychain thingy.

Name:  Meh.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  118.6 KB
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Both school sites sounds like they have potential. Sometimes the goodies are hiding with the clad. Go back and get the silver.....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Al, I believe the saying is "where there's wheats, there's silver". I thought you been doing this a long time. Well, often enough there is silver with the clad.

Bri, I like how you put the note saying Pile o'clad. Is it a fake leprechaun? I looked again at the map for the area you hit. Definitely as I said there were no structures around 1868 where the school is now. The big house is the last structure surviving; that doesn't mean the land wasn't owned and used as a field by the big house, neighbor to the school. With the razor that old, there should be some old coins.

I wasn't sure I was gonna post an underwhelming report (thanks for reading!), so the clad was washed and in the jar already. That's why I used a Post-It. Plus it's just clad, whoopdy-doo.

The razor I'm still shaking dirt out of. Gonna get that baby working again and try it out!

EDIT: The razor is a Gem Micromatic (brass version pic'd), believe from the 40's. Surprisingly, these are still popular with people who like to shave old school.
    Name:  micromatic.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  31.0 KB
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 08-20-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Congrats. that an awesome pile o clad . I agree with MangoAve, if your finding Wheats, you'll hit the Silver soon.
    Congrats on all your finds. By the way, the Razor is Cool.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Nice razor let me know how smooth the shave is
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Al, I believe the saying is "where there's wheats, there's silver". I thought you been doing this a long time. .

As you said...he's been doing this awhile...and that is NOT always the case...just a good chance. Not all expressions are true as we know....especially this one!

Brian, I love that razor....wish they still made quality like that
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Thanks for posting Brian. I've had the opportunity to have some great hunts, though many others with similar experiences to yours described. Honestly I don't mind...at least I'm out detecting and if I find a few neat things (and don't dig a 1788 copper or silver) that's fine. Last night went to a spot and dug square nails, iron and other junk, but did get a 1921 dog tag which I thought was interesting so was a mild success. Thanks for posting and keep it up.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Bri View Post
    a Chicago Lock Company key (2154 stamped on it if it's yours)

Name:  Meh.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  118.6 KB
    That would be mine. Thanks for locating it.

the razor is definitely cool.

She's got a little weight Rob, I think gravity does most of the the work. You can still fleabay these for @ 30 bux if you want to try shaving with single edge blades. Pretty sure I'd be bloody scraps with it.

Thanks John. Only 3 months into it, so yeah, the parks are still as interesting as the woods. I like these weird things out of the ground too.
    Had things gone they way I wanted this week (work porked me), I'd actually be in Ludlow right now with my detector. A friend of mine has a place on Okemo, and we go up this time of year to see what maintenance is needed before the snow flies (and hang out at Tom's Loft). I'll be up there in late Sept or early Oct for the work.

the shaver isn't something you see very often Brian , especially all there . neat relic
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album