Thread: Greetings from Sugar Hill, 30mi nne of Atlanta

Candidate Member

Greetings from Sugar Hill, 30mi nne of Atlanta

Hi folks, it's great to have found your site! Though I'm not even a noob, I am hooked and hope to get some equipment soon.

I've been interested for years but put off by the science and variety of technical capabilities. Worse, it seems that "you get what you pay for" applies not only to quality but more-so to features, seeming to require considerable education. As it happens, a few years ago I stumbled on a contact who came to my home and found a couple of property markers for me. He also found a quarter, rusty bottle cap, and pull-tab. (He refused the quarter, what an inspiration!) During the search, he gave me considerable information -- and suggestions, as my questions led me toward considering "getting into it".

His information helped me develop the expectation that a White's XLT would probably be an ideal machine for me to start with. Though not an entry-level machine, it probably would serve well -- probably forever but certainly for a very long time before my abilities and needs outgrew it.

Sadly, I've lost his contact info, and have no idea how I discovered him. In searching for detectorists, I've found this site as well as lostmystuff.net. I've submitted a request for a volunteer to help me, but I'm hoping to be able to find and purchase a detector and pinpointer soon -- I just LOVE discovering old stuff!

A great big THANKS to all you folk who have given so much of your time and experience, and particularly your patience with the noobz!

-Shaun-

Welcome to the forum, Shaun! It sounds like you have done some thorough research. What type of detecting are you planning on doing? Parks, private yards, beaches, farm fields, woods? Certainly there is a lot of history in you area, and we share your love of finding old stuff!

We are looking forward to your participation on the forum!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Hello and welcome from Washington state. This is great place to learn about detecting, machines, identification of finds, etc. Happy hunting!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Shaun, Welcome aboard from western MA. The XLT is a good, solid machine that can keep you busy finding treasure for years to come. In the meantime, start looking for places to hunt and talking with people in your area for permission to do their houses, fields, woods, etc.... That way when you get your machine, you will have places lined up to hunt. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Shaun, another welcome from western MA. You've come to the right site for information about machines and finds. Hope you acquire a detector soon so that we can enjoy your finds.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Hello and welcome to the forum Shaun , I agree the xlt is a very capable and smooth running machine . I also hope to see some great finds from you soon.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Candidate Member

Thanks, all, for the nice welcoming comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    ... It sounds like you have done some thorough research. What type of detecting are you planning on doing? Parks, private yards, beaches, farm fields, woods?...
    First objective is to locate missing property markers; then examine my 1/3-acre subdivision lot to see if any artifacts were missed when landscaping was done (and locate all the trash thrown over the hill by neighbors who think the greenway is a dumping ground). Next I hope to enroll some of my neighbors in searching their yards for property markers, and any items they might have lost; then on to the rest of the world.

I have a little woodland in s.w. Louisiana that I'll visit, but that area isn't rich, and my property was always woodland so I don't expect to learn much there.

As I said, I love finding stuff and discovering stuff. So visiting the old battlegrounds and searching former homesteads, as well as woods searching is attractive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    ... In the meantime, start looking for places to hunt and talking with people in your area for permission to do their houses, fields, woods, etc.... That way when you get your machine, you will have places lined up to hunt...
    Thanks, that is a great suggestion and I've changed my strategy accordingly!

In gathering information about equipment, I've learned a lot about the ethics and legality of detecting, so I am grateful to all of you who provide such great and helpful information.

You are going to love this hobby It hooks you bad, even before you know it
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold