Thread: 1794 Liberty Cap cleaning new picture of back

Blog Entries

1794 Liberty Cap cleaning new picture of back

Attachment 41798Dan,i did the warm soaks and the heat lamp some of the patina was paper thin but it still has a lot of detail and a full date,can anyone id this.Will the rens wax help with appearance.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by foundation hunter; 08-26-2014 at 03:58 PM.

Sorry Gary , I was away out of town for a bit . I think it looks better with much more detail there to see. yes the reddish areas are the rough spots where the protective patina either didn't develop or couldn't hang on to coin any longer. Don't remove any of the thin green patina coating yes cover it with something that will preserve what is left on there. you can definitely tell that the coin has some wear (been circulated) on the high points of the bust but its in very good shape Gary.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

That looks very nice have you done any research on variety it is!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    That looks very nice have you done any research on variety it is!
    Theres like 38 different varieties now that I have it cleaned it looks like the head of 1794 I just don't witch variety it is.i haven't touched the back yet I may just leave it alone
    Last edited by foundation hunter; 08-25-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Nice clean up Gary!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Leaning towards Sheldon 38 but I'm not the best on at attributing coins. Plus I don't have a good reference library to go through all the varieties. Don't have any images of the NC ones either. So that is my guess for now Jyes or either of the Don's may be able to help you now that you have a more exposed obverse. But also try and get a reverse image up too.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

George, I just put a link. Why didn't u check it? The 38-40 varieties had this little tab or raised area below the cap. That's why I guessed 36. There are other possibilities like 22 or 26 but right now I can't have pic next to the pix in link. Plus the back cleaned might help like u mentioned.

Jim you might have both started your replies at the same time , he might have stopped to lookup the different varieties in his book and you finished your reply first . I usually do this a lot on forum posts .

Gary I'm sure some one will chime in the variety type , I'm definitely not the guy for the task though .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    George, I just put a link. Why didn't u check it? The 38-40 varieties had this little tab or raised area below the cap. That's why I guessed 36. There are other possibilities like 22 or 26 but right now I can't have pic next to the pix in link. Plus the back cleaned might help like u mentioned.
    I looked through every variety and I came up with Sheldon 38
    Last edited by foundation hunter; 08-26-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Funny, this was a very hard one to ID, but a lot of the ground found 1794's are, since corrosion or dirt/wear always seems to hide the needed detail to properly attribute.
    I looked at the Obverse and I handle 1794s like I do CT coppers for IDing, usually do better with the reverse side for positive final ID. All of the S30 series the LIBERTY was too far from the Bust, btw, I know of no known differences in the CAP for helping to attribute variety. Anyway, with the distance from the top of the bust to LIBERTY known and how the date was for spacing, that are the two big areas of concern, since there were a few possibilities, it was time to look at the Reverse side. BINGO, I saw the one thing that stood out. The berry to the left of the letter C in CENT was halfway up to the letter, which numerous varieties have, including the S-38, BUT the leaf point below that berry was different that the S-38. The berry is a bit to the left of the point. That was my main focus. I found a match using that single attribute and believe it or not, it appears it is the most common variety of 1794 Large Cents. A Sheldon 65. There are other details to look for and they do match, short right ribbon is one of them, of course the fraction, but that is a tad hard to see clearly.... Don

Whoo hoo, Thank God that's over Thanks Jyes for nailing that one. You know it would have been a lot easier if they only used one set of dies
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold