Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPX and a new coil

GPX and a new coil

Had the day off today and decided to try out a new 10x5 DD coil for the GPX. Our sponsor John from JMT Metal detectors was excellent in getting that coil out to me fast Thanks John. So I decided to try it out at a cellar hole that I got my nicest GW out of. That was the goal - to get another GW out of there. Well that didn't happen, but I did have a great day anyways. Started out good by not being stung by anything all day I did break my record for "fattie" small cents in a day. Not technically a coin spill, probably more like a coin tumble, as all 4 "fattie" cents were found in a 3 foot circle. I didn't check them yet to see if they are Indians or Flying Eagles....I'll let everyone guess on them. Might as well guess on the large copper too. Finished out the day with 3 round ball, a spoon, a bunch of buttons and some buckles. A fairly hot day today, but being in the woods cooled things down a bit. It was a nice change of pace having a smaller coil on that machine. My arm needed a break from that 15x12 coil I usually use. This one handled the sticks and briars a lot better than that big coil could.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  56.4 KBName:  002.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  53.8 KB
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Some nice saves there!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

"A coin fumble". I like that. That's a nice hunt any day. I'll take a shot at the copper before Dan nails the ID. It's a CT copper; Draped Bust left; Miller 15.2.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Here is a piece of iron that I dug and cleaned up a bit. This one I'm going to keep after it gets more work on it. Don't know exactly what it is but it's under 5" long. I'm guessing it could be a piece to hook tapered candles while dipping them. But I'm sure it could be a thousand other things too. Sometimes the iron is just as interesting as the brass relics we find.

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  30.1 KB

Hmm.. strange piece. It's twisted like wrought iron but there definitely is a hook end to it.

Yep, iron finds can be very cool. That's a good a guess as any George. I'm thinking because shaft is twisted, it may have been used for something that required a good amount of tensile strength.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Nice finds George that is a nice "fumble" I guess they could be fat-eagles!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

its kinda close to an old hoof pick .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Yep, iron finds can be very cool. That's a good a guess as any George. I'm thinking because shaft is twisted, it may have been used for something that required a good amount of tensile strength.
    Could be. Twisting it improves its strength I would imagine. This piece is pretty thin and I was thinking the twists were more for decorative reasons. It looks like it was made for someone with small hands, maybe a young girl or woman. That is why the first thing that popped into my head was dipping tapered candles. I probably thought of that cause I just read a good book on colonial antiques

I did end up cleaning the toasted small cents. All 4 were Indians. (2) 1862's and (2) 1863's. The area I located these in was in a flood zone away from the cellar hole, so I knew they would be toast The large cent was an 1800 (80 over 79) Draped Bust and is in worse shape than the fatties. At least they made my day while they were still dirty

Name:  010.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  58.2 KB

So being called a candle dipper back in the day wasn't a good thing? Check.
    I'm learning a lot about history from you guys.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

The fatties would still make my day, George, because I have never found even one! And here you found four in short order.

What was the book you read about colonial antiques? It sounds like something I would like to check out as well.

Congrats on all those great finds!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Tony, you may be able to find this book at the library. I bought mine from ebay. It goes through a lot of time periods and has a slew of pictures. You can tell a lot about some of our finds by randomly scanning old photos.

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  60.3 KBName:  003.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  37.7 KB

Thanks, George! There were several copies of it on eBay, and a seller just accepted my offer of $7 for a nice slipcased edition so it should be on its way to me.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I read it before I go to bed.... it makes me sleepy But there is a lot of info in it. Some of those large ornate finials we find may be from bellows that would fan the fire. Would have never guessed that until I saw a picture of it. You will enjoy the book. At least it will be a great sleeping aid

Hey George, my "Colonial Antiques" book arrived today, and I was just looking through it. There is an object on page 275 that reminds me of your iron mystery object above. It is a hanging "Betty" or grease lamp. Your iron object could be the hanger part. If you Google "grease lamp" you will see many hangers that look very similar to yours, including the twist in the metal.

Name:  786928_1_l.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  32.8 KB
    Lifetime totals:

I just read that last night in my book too . It is on a page with other candle related antiques. It is a fairly delicate piece, and whatever it was used for, did not require it to hold a lot of weight. I think so far, it is candle related.

Tony, it looks to me like it could be either part. I'm fairly certain you got the right object based upon the pics. The perpindicular bend in the piece George found looks a lot like the handle to the bowl part. Like the one to the far left of your pic, coupled with the twisting of the third from the left. Only if the bowl part broke off and that end rusted to a point. But the hook end (where previous example is rusted point) of George's piece looks like the hooks on your pic, but the the end that is perpendicular, should be a loop. So there's the uncertainty. At least u got 275 pages in without falling asleep. Good find.

could it be a mangled flint striker? very cool outing.
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    could it be a mangled flint striker? very cool outing.
    Could be anything Strike a lite?

Nice going on the coins and the candle related part George . I had a similar hunt
    recently , my finds were some clad coins and a Bic lighter ( which still worked) . Yeah , I just love finding this ancient West Coast stuff .