Thread: Cellar Holes: I'm a believer! 2nd day in CT

Cellar Holes: I'm a believer! 2nd day in CT

Today I went to my cousins house… and of course the area was older. We passed by so many colonial houses, so what do you think I wanted to do? My cousin told me about a hiking trail with a "pound" nearby... the "pound" turned out to be a beautiful rock foundation holding place for cattle, sheep, and other animals... I made my way on the right side of the foundation and got an amazing signal. An 83 on the AT Pro, I knew it was going to be a large copper even before I dug it. After letting it dry in the sun for a couple hours... the first layer of brown corrosion started flaking off… once it all came off, we were able to see what type of large copper it was. It turned out to be a beautiful Matron Head dated 1820, with a nice light green patina. You can see a lot of details were on this when dropped. It appears to be shot three times by a BB gun. Hey at least it gives it some character!

I headed to the back side of the foundation and got a very faint and deep 70s signal. About 7" deep I dig a nice flat button. My cousin wanted to explore the hiking trail. On the trail my first signal was a very nice high 70s VDI and I found a very nice crotal/sleigh bell that still jingles. It took a while to find another signal other than the occasional shot gun shell… but I noticed something else. An incredible site… I'm being honest here… it was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Long stone walls covered the fern infested woods... I can't explain why these are so beautiful for me… I didn't get to the end of the stone walls today and I plan on doing it some other time. I believe this was a buggy trail… I will try hunting this area as soon as possible. This is a spot I will have to go back to.

On the trail near a small stream I get a 75 signal about 6" deep under roots and I found a colonial musket ball in perfect shape. A little while later I found another colonial era musket ball which has hit something on the way back home. I will be trying to find another foundation or the end to that buggy trail. I'm dying to metal detect that place again... and to find another large copper. I'm addicted to cellar hole hunting now… too bad I can only be in CT for a week, three times a year.

Pictures:

Thanks for reading... GL and HH

- Isaac
    Last edited by Isaac; 08-26-2014 at 10:45 PM.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Great hunt Isaac, interesting BB dents in that large cent! Get back for more as soon as possible!
    Whites M6, Eclipse 6X10 DD, Sunray DX-1

Very cool finds Isaac , congrats on the large cent and crotal . is there any initials or number along the bottom of it ??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by mike l View Post
    Great hunt Isaac, interesting BB dents in that large cent! Get back for more as soon as possible!
    Thanks Mike! Hoping to get back there later today!

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Very cool finds Isaac , congrats on the large cent and crotal . is there any initials or number along the bottom of it ??
    Thanks Dan! Unfortunately, I cannot see any lettering anywhere on the bell. It does have a spinned look to it… I'll post a better picture later for you.
    Last edited by Isaac; 08-27-2014 at 08:37 AM.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Nice finds! Those dings in the LC definately add some personality to that coin. Very cool!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Great hunt Issac You found a little bit of everything that can be found at a cellar hole, all in one day Congrats on the large cent. They may have been trying to drill it and make a toy (wizzer) out of it. You can see that the holes were made a long time ago since the insides are the same corrosion (patina) as the rest of the coin. So it was probably done back in the day. How's that for character?
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

That is an exceptional collection of old treasure and it all was found in one day at one location. I call that treasure hunting at it's finest.

Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    They may have been trying to drill it and make a toy (wizzer) out of it.
    Exactly! Found a DB that was also beaten up as well.

Name:  picture.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  4.4 KB
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Very nice finds. Your LC surely has character with those indents on it. Sorry to hear that you're only up here for 2 weeks a year. Looking forward to your future finds from that buggy trail.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Sweet hunt Issac, How 'bout on top of that crotal, any number up near the top? Sometimes I find markings up there. Congrats!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Thanks everyone!!! I'll be posting today's and tomorrow's finds tomorrow… I had a killer hunt today!!!
    I <3 colonial relics!

I wonder what they were up to indenting the coins like that.. I know a lot of coins met an early demise from my bb gun when I was growing up. But, this predates bb guns by a long way

Quote Originally Posted by GKman View Post
    I wonder what they were up to indenting the coins like that.. I know a lot of coins met an early demise from my bb gun when I was growing up. But, this predates bb guns by a long way
    GKman... I was thinking the same thing! BB guns were made in the late 1800s… a lot later than when this was dropped. Very odd.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Excellent finds you got there Isaac neat old LC with the BB marks on it and I always like digging up a crotal bell, unfortunately it's been a long time since I have.