Thread: New to Forum, Not new to detecting.

Smile New to Forum, Not new to detecting.

Hello Folks,
    I live in the Dutchess County area of The Hudson River Valley and I first started detecting in 1984. I enjoy digging older coins and relics only. I have very little interest in finding any modern coinage, rings, etc. I feel most at home roaming the woods, fields, and mountains.

During the nineties I worked as part of the the Minelab Excalibur build team near my home. I also worked assembling some of the Grey Ghost products. I currently use the Detectorpro Uniprobe and swing the CTX=3030 which was preceded by the Sovereign, Explorer, and E-Trac and a Fisher 1210-x

I love researching old sites for myself and others. In the past I have used my research skills to help folks across the country locate places to detect near their locations.

If you have watched any of the recent Dirt Fishin America The Movie videos you may have seen me.
    I also have my own little Youtube page where I occasionally upload videos http://www.youtube.com/user/gkillmer

One of the other forum members said I should come over to check out the site since it may be more in line with the type of folks I am looking to correspond with. For many years, I did not partake in any online activity regarding detecting, which is odd considering I am an IT guy, but in the last three years or so I have made up for lost time across the forums...

Some of my notable finds are a 1793 Liberty Cap Cent
    A 3500 to 5000 year old copper adze
    An 1840's Militia belt plate with a rarity rating of at least six,
    An approximately 1850's pistol
    My most recent hunt I walked away with eight coppers, including King Georges and Draped Busts.

HH...
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Welcome from Illinois!

Glad you joined the forum, GKman! We have many cellar hole hunters here.

Like you, I am a Minelab user and I'm mostly interested in old coins and relics, although I wouldn't throw a modern gold ring in the garbage. Unfortunately, we don't have near as much history here in Illinois as you do up there. You're right in the middle of prime detecting territory!

That 1793 Liberty Cap Large Cent makes me green with jealousy!

I just subscribed to your YouTube channel and I look forward to watching your videos when I get home from work tonight.

Tony
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Thanks for the add Tony, look forward to getting to know everyone..

Welcome from western MA. I also will subscribe to your Youtube channel as soon as I finish writing this. Some very very nice finds you posted here. Looking forward to your future posts.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Good to see you over here GK!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Welcome aboard GKman from western MA. Glad you decided to stop by. An absolutely beautiful 1793 I take it you are located in a lime belt? Coins found in those areas hold up so nicely. The other finds are great too, especially the pistol. I found one (or 2 ) of those barrels but was not sure how to tell if it was real or what pistol it came from. Must have been fun to do some Excalibur and Gray Ghost work. An exciting hobby this is, isn't it?
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I recognize that name. Welcome Gary.

When I was getting into detecting back in May and jazzing on YouTube vids, ran across yours and subscribed. Looking forward to the movie this winter.
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 08-27-2014 at 10:04 PM.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Welcome to the forum GKMan... beautiful finds!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Hi SeaBee ! Good to see you too!
    Hi Coin, good to meet you, it is an exciting hobby for sure, nothing else has held my interest for practically my whole life!
    Hi Trooper, thanks for the add! I have to work on putting some more videos up. I keep waiting for Google Glass to come out, since I hate having to set up the camera..
    Thanks Isaac

Hello Gary welcome to American Detectorist glad you finally shown up here , been loving some of the great finds you've been making lately . Hope you found a new place to visit.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Hello Gary welcome to American Detectorist glad you finally shown up here , been loving some of the great finds you've been making lately . Hope you found a new place to visit.

Dan
    Hi Dan
    good to see you too!
    Hopefully the temp will cool down and I can get back out.

Yes, that 1793 is beautiful! Welcome to the forum!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Hi GKman, welcome to the forum.

Very impressive finds !

Looking forward to reading your posts.

Will check your YouTube channel as well.