Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: capped bust dime

capped bust dime

HEAVYMETALNUT (Dave) & Thiltzy (Todd_ hosted Issac and I at one of their areas for some relic hunting . I had a great feeling about this spot and knew there was going to be some very good finds found. I fist met Isaac and his Father (David) at the meeting place and prepared them for a day of long hikes. Both are good people and I give a huge amount of credit to David who came out and stayed with Isaac all day (what a great Dad!!)

We set out to find a "new site" and wandered the forest for a bit until we found it . it was a nice looking area but not a lot of targets left , I think i picked up a .30 caliber pistol round ball. Later at the next site is where i get the 1814 classic large cent at almost 8 inches (its in rough shape) .

I yell to Dave "classic head" then i take one step over and the dfx is saying another coin. after about 5 inches i see the small silver disk covered in dirt , I 'm thinking spanish silver as i try to get a better look .

"Capped bust dime " I yelled out to everyone .

Later at this site I picked up a few smaller buttons one was another convex cuff sized eagle artillery but like the other one i found at this site its in rough shape as well. We stopped at a couple other sites where i picked some small tombac buttons then at the last site i finally found my large one-piece eagle button . this one looks to be in pretty nice shape too.

the Dime cleaned up

and the button and dime together

I can't thank Dave and Todd enough for stepping up and letting Isaac and I come down and join them on this hunt .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

you are more than welcome to hunt with us anytime Dan.always look forward to hunting along side you.after all ..you are my mentor.I knew that eagle button was gonna be decent.the best lookin one of all these types that have been dug yet.great early American silver as well.killer hunt had by all! was a very enjoyable day.I still say Issac showed us all up.he hadda rub in that Todd & I missed that shoe buckle.that made me chuckle.nice elbow to the rib cage Issac
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Super digs Dan!!!!! That CB Dime looks like a newly minted drop Love the button!
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    I knew that eagle button was gonna be decent.the best lookin one of all these types that have been dug yet.great early American silver as well.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by pulltabsteve View Post
    Super digs Dan!!!!! That CB Dime looks like a newly minted drop Love the button!
    Steve , the coin has some wear to it but I'm not complaining about the "ol gal's" looks one bit

Wow what a gorgeous dime Dan and that Classic Head copper is great!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Steve , the coin has some wear to it but I'm not complaining about the "ol gal's" looks one bit
    Yeah, I thought it was pretty darn good the first quick time seeing the pic before coming to post. I see the worn edge but the rest of it including the stars on the same side look great. At least u walk away saying it's a great find. Some would say a find like that is an off day.
    Do u need me to say it's a great find? I know sometimes u encourage me. Just a return gesture
    Last edited by MangoAve; 08-30-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    At least u wall away saying it's a great find. Some would say a find like that is an off day.
    Do u need me to say it's a great find? I know sometimes u encourage me. Just a return gesture
    Jim , (to me anyways) a find like this makes a good hunt into a great one . thanks

she's a beauty! be grateful it didn't look like my only capped bust dime
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Dave , I still would of been just as happy with it if it had no detail at all , its still silver , beside then i could of taken my black magic marker and drawn a "draped bust" on it and did some gloating to you all.

"look, a Draped bust dime everyone!!"

Your intuition was right Dan! Was a fun day with great friends I am very happy that everyone had some quality finds. Love the Capped dime and seems like your eagle buttons held up better than last hunt.
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Just wonderful finds Dan, what an amazing pocket spill. And that artillery button two feet from me at the last site What a great day!!! Hope you get that draped bust silver soon Thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    Wow what a gorgeous dime Dan and that Classic Head copper is great!
    Thanks Tony , enjoying yourself with friends is whats all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy View Post
    Your intuition was right Dan! Was a fun day with great friends I am very happy that everyone had some quality finds. Love the Capped dime and seems like your eagle buttons held up better than last hunt.
    Todd , I know you think you had the least productive day , you still had a great day and i'm dying to see your early U.S. general service button . Besides Dave and I know whats in store , you'll come out taking no prisoners next time out

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Just wonderful finds Dan, what an amazing pocket spill. And that artillery button two feet from me at the last site What a great day!!! Hope you get that draped bust silver soon Thank you so much
    Isaac your welcome , just remember ...

when your finding decent items in an area just slow down . looking to see those buttons and other relics all cleaned up .

The dime that survived time. And nicely at that. Congrats Dan, she's a beauty!
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Todd , I know you think you had the least productive day , you still had a great day and i'm dying to see your early U.S. general service button . Besides Dave and I know whats in store , you'll come out taking no prisoners next time out
    I will post the buttons soon Dan, obviously I couldn't do it today due to prior commitments. Btw Dan, one of my buttons turned out to be an early Engineer corps button but it's in ruff shape even though it still has gold gilt on it. It came out of the "military button pen"
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Awesome finds you got there Del

I just had to come back for a double take on the old capped dime, that is a beautiful coin.

Great dime Dan!
    CTX 3030,E trac,T2 SE

Nice Capped Bust dime, I only ever found two CB dimes, and both found lying side by side on top of a tilled field! 1820 & 1825, very decent shape to boot. Still looking for a early year Capped Bust Quarter. Wait, any year Capped Bust Quarter would do........

Don

Awesome finds Dan! You guys had a great day to be out. That CB is just awesome!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Congratulations on some fine looking finds Dan, especially the silver dime.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache