I carry around my stuff in a backpack 'cuz I don't really want to have a tool belt. Already the pinpointer is restrictive on it's own. My first trip out with Dan I had a folding shovel. The threaded section of the shaft broke, probably from the frozen ground, and it's a special thread so I couldn't cut the shaft and re-thread it using a die. I then bought the SOG folding shovel. Since it's bigger than the trowel I use it when I need the leverage. I've killed that one now with the folded piece breaking near where the edge is riveted to the spade. I used the spade from the original shovel to fix the SOG. The Ames trowel is already breaking by the handle. The other trowel styles I saw at HD I am skeptical about. There are some with a solid rod from the spade with no shotty welding, but it doesn't have a serrated edge and the bend in the rod means the force is not in line with the spade. The smallest shovel HD has is about 2' long and has a wooden handle. I feel there is something better than a lesche trowel tho. Due to it being Sunday and stores closing early the only store other than HD that was open was tractor supply. First I saw a shovel about the same size as the HD shovel but fiberglass handle. Then I found a telescoping trowel. It's all solid and seems comparable to the big ones Dan and Bri have. I am hoping this one can stand up to the abuse I put to it. So this kinda stands as a review of the stuff I've tried that have failed.
Name:  Ames.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  36.6 KBName:  New shovel.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  21.2 KBName:  Telescoped.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  29.8 KB