Thread: Whew!!!!

Whew!!!!

I volunteered to try to find a friend's lost wedding band, put the MD in the golf cart and headed out. When I got to the street where they used to live, I hooked a sharp left and out tumbled my new best friend. It hit on the housing, flipped over and slid across the pavement, coil side down. I was sick. I drove to the house and told the people who lived there what I was needing to do. They said no problem and wished me luck. I powered up the machine and all of the sudden it went crazy. Every number in the world came and went on the LCD display. I was sure it was toast. It is a computer, right? So I took out the batteries to try a cold reboot. No luck. I changed to every mode, tried changing frequencies to no avail. I decided to take it home and see what it was going to cost to get it fixed. At home I thought I would try it one more time. Guess what. It ran like a new Ferrari. I was stumped but happy. Thank You Lord! I ate lunch and headed back to the spot where it all began. Same song, second verse. I looked around and there above me were about a dozen electrical transmission wires. I tried all 4 frequencies again, but no help. I could only wonder if there were also buried cables somewhere. I was finally able to use it by taking the sensitivity down to almost half. It worked fine, but I still did not find the ring. All I have to say is that the "AT Pro" is ONE TOUGH COOKIE! Has anyone else ever had that drastic of interference from overhead wires or could maybe a Shortwave Radio transmission cause something like this? I would really like to know.

Mine went crazy just the other day and I discovered the rocks in the area were full of volcanic metals. It's also done that in an area that had lots of garbage just under the surface. If we do meet up next month and the ring is still lost I'll help you look.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Thanks Karl. That would be great. I do know that their area has a different road bed than ours, but I wouldn't think there would be any conductive properties in it. Oh we'll, live & learn.

Check to see if they have an underground electric dog fence. If they do they would have to keep the dog in and turn off the fence during the hunt.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Thanks coinnut. I never considered that but it is worth a try. We do have a leash law and many dogs run free in the yard. Appreciate the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by mownomo View Post
    Thanks coinnut. I never considered that but it is worth a try. We do have a leash law and many dogs run free in the yard. Appreciate the reply.
    I have tried to hunt a yard with an electric fence and it is near impossible with any type of machine. You have to lower the sensitivity so much that it's not worth the effort. But I was thinking that the ring you were looking for would not be very deep, so lowering your sensitivity drastically is actually a plus. You can get it set to just go about 3" and limit the number of hits you receive, making it easier to find that ring.

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    Indeed. has happened with the Pro and other Garretts I own.
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

You're right. It did limit the hits especially notching just the ring numbers (40-50). About the only thing that rang up was pieces of aluminum cans that the mowers caught in the culverts. I do plan on returning for a more careful hunt.

Be careful on the ring numbers. On my machine they can be about 80% of all numbers, depending on size and gold content. I would rather limit depth and read all the numbers. If possible, a similar ring can be tested to see what it reads like too. I was shocked at how low and how high rings can read. Now if I could just put my coil over one of those numbers, I would be one happy guy

coinnut, I know what you mean about how the numbers can vary, but looking at some of the videos on YouTube about ring hunting with the AT Pro, they seem to follow pretty close to what the various rings I tested. My band is consistant at 47 and my other rings within 2 either way. So who knows? Even when you notch a range, it still displays other hit numbers, it just doesn't sound off. Thanks though for the advice. Like you, I am anxious to find anything resembling a ring that doesn't have a tab attached.