Thread: Saturday Door Knocking!

Saturday Door Knocking!

Saturday was a cool crisp day here in Ohio as the group got together for a hunt. Doug and his son Malachi joined Diane and me for a day of door knocking and detecting. First site was one we have hunted before, a mid 1800’s abandoned house that is in the process of being torn down. Again the trash overwhelmed the chances of a good target; the only find of note was Doug’s find of a shingling axe head in a dump site behind the house. We then moved on and did a door knock at an 1848 house that proved very interesting. We all got wheat cents there and while there were not much in the way of coins Doug did score a Walking Liberty Half. Relics were the thing here though. I got a thimble, two buttons and a lovely “Emerson” suspender buckle with the patent date of Dec. 1 1874. Also I found a button front and a bell. Doug found a stirrup and an interesting spoon that had the figure of a soldier on the handle, USA on the back and in the bowl was the image of Franklin Pierce who was the 14th President 1853-1857 possibly a campaign item.

Also at this site Diane found a silver spoon handle with the initials M. A. on it. My research afterwards showed that this home site was originally on the 1855 map as the property of “Widow Alexander” and the 1850 Census gave the family listing with a son M. C. Alexander. On the handle of the spoon is some crude scratching that appear to be those initials. I believe this is his baby spoon. Here is some documentation.

Copy of 1850 Census record showing M. C. Alexander third from top.

We moved on and went to another spot that I had previous permission on. Doug did very well here with a 1906-D Barber Dime and a worn 1919-S Mercury dime. He also hit a large wheat spill and ended the day with 16 wheats dating from 1911. Diane did well also with the oldest coin of the day a 1901 Indian Head. I dug a few wheats and another thimble! A long day but a productive one. Here are more of the finds.

Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Very nice finds Tony! The spoon is the best in my opinion. I think it's so cool you can find that exact person who used that silver spoon over a century ago. Very historical and personal find. That's what it's about!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Veteran Member
    Superb finds. A little research goes a long way. Thanks for the interesting post!

It may have been a long day but a very productive day. Love the Franklin Pierce spoon but the coolest find is the silver spoon handle. Great research on that item.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Really nice finds Tony! I love all the research you did on that spoon. It's a fun part of the hobby for sure. HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Fantastic bunch of finds for all of you! Doug's Franklin Pierce spoon is a particularly interesting relic! What a great piece of our nation's history. I bet it has some value. Did you find any like it on the internet?

I really like Diane's silver spoon handle as well, and it's great that you were able to find so much information on the owner. Way to put those pieces of the puzzle together!

Very cool that your suspender buckle has the patent date of 1874 on it!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

WTG on the finds. I LOVE the Soldier Spoon and the Silver Spoon! It's amazing what a little research can do to link you to a site's past.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Nice digs! Great research!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    Fantastic bunch of finds for all of you! Doug's Franklin Pierce spoon is a particularly interesting relic! What a great piece of our nation's history. I bet it has some value. Did you find any like it on the internet?

I really like Diane's silver spoon handle as well, and it's great that you were able to find so much information on the owner. Way to put those pieces of the puzzle together!

Very cool that your suspender buckle has the patent date of 1874 on it!

I have found nothing on it may be a campaign item. Pierce was a Brigadier General during US-Mexican war but was not a popular President. History is what it is all about.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Great finds and excellent research. Way to go!
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Awesome Tony! Can't beat that, bit of everything.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

very sweet relics Tony , a great hunt . its nice to see everyone find some goodies .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album