Thread: A Couple of Weekend Hunts / Dug Some Nice Silver

A Couple of Weekend Hunts / Dug Some Nice Silver

Last weekend Digger Al and I door knocked at a house up in Wisconsin. We dug a bunch of tokens which I posted earlier in the week and a couple of Rosies which I'm posting now.
    Today we went out again and hit a couple of towns along the Fox River here in Illinois. We got permission at a house that was built around 1920. The only coins we dug were a few wheats, but I did find a very nice Sterling Silver Saint William medallion at about 5 inches. We moved up river a couple of towns and found a house built in 1850. The home owners were extremely nice and told us to go for it. We hunted about an hour. Alec dug a 1940 Washington Quarter, a toy car & marble. and I dug a 1950 Rosie. We both got a few more wheats. The home owner gave us a lead about a house down the street that was built in 1837. We were told that Mary Todd Lincoln used to go there to have her fortune told by the medium that lived there. I actually looked it up on line when I got home and its true. Anyway, I dug an 1895 Barber Quarter and Alec dug a 1923 Merc. Amazingly, no Indians at these old houses.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Digger Don; 09-13-2014 at 08:32 PM.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Great hunt!!! So much silver!!!

That barber quarter has got to be my favorite of the bunch. There is some nice details on that one!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Don, you and Alec are killing it using the "Tony Two-cent method" of finding silvers! That 1895 quarter is VERY nice and would have been in circulation only a short time before it was lost. Congrats on yet another great bunch of finds. HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Great hunt, all that silver It can sometimes be very hard to find a certain period of coinage at standing homes. It's all there though, but usually masked or partially masked. Slowing way down and using a smaller coil has always worked for me. Work extremely small areas (patches) and give the machine time to hear the different levels that the targets are located at. It's a 3 dimensional game and speed is not in your favor
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Nice pile of silver Don!
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

With all that silver who cares about the IH's. Very nice Barber and religious medallion.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Great finds and pictures . I never knew there was a St.William , I'm going to have to check out what he was noted for .

So much for that ......... there are actually 14 St.Williams listed !
    Last edited by Cheap Thrills; 09-13-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Love all that silver Don!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Veteran Member
    Nice finds Don. Hopefully we will have as good of luck today as well. Happy hunting.

Amazing finds once again, Don! I love that Barber Quarter!

You and Alec are having an incredible year. I hope your hot streak continues!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

To you and Al on a bunch of nice coins That Barber is Sweet can't wait to find any barber coin. That St.Williams piece is nice too HH
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Elite Member
    Nice bunch of silver. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Dug some nice silver?
    Yeah you guys did!!
    I like the 1800's Barber quarter the most, but that silver medallion is a super cool find too!
    I've never found a silver religious medallion or pendent.
    Congrats guys!!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime