Thread: When To Give Up?

When To Give Up?

Last year I found a stone wall. The wall runs down to a creek. I figured water and a boundry , there has gotta be an old residence somewhere about. I believe I found it.

This area looks to have been a farm at one time. The wide flat farm field is now a Baseball field. Where the mowed grass ends, thick brush has taken over and the stone wall is just inside the brush. A little further in is a squareish looking depression with what looks like a stone foundation.

The problem is I had to crawl on hands and knees to get to the cellar hole. The brush is that bad. I have a large breed dog and he was having difficulty getting around. This is one of those places where a rabbit wouldn't go.

I am not as young as I once was... When does a feller decide to give up?
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

go back in the winter when the brush dies down

When I say brush I do not mean thorny black berry type brush. I believe it is called Red Willow. Not trees as such, but brush that reaches a height of ten - twelve feet. With a base of several inches. A lot of interlocking branchs , so that the only way to get around is down around the zero to three foot height. I would need a chainsaw to clear a path.

When the leaves drop the branches would still be there.
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

Quote Originally Posted by Beartoe View Post
    Last year I found a stone wall. The wall runs down to a creek. I figured water and a boundry , there has gotta be an old residence somewhere about. I believe I found it.

This area looks to have been a farm at one time. The wide flat farm field is now a Baseball field. Where the mowed grass ends, thick brush has taken over and the stone wall is just inside the brush. A little further in is a squareish looking depression with what looks like a stone foundation.

The problem is I had to crawl on hands and knees to get to the cellar hole. The brush is that bad. I have a large breed dog and he was having difficulty getting around. This is one of those places where a rabbit wouldn't go.

I am not as young as I once was... When does a feller decide to give up?

The pain will let you know when to stop .

Then start in an area as close to the cellar hole as possible. Coins and relics are dropped everywhere around a home. But the ratio of finds goes down as you get away from the cellar hole. But I have found some really nice coins far from the hole too.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I've got a spot similar to that was an old schoolhouse. I KNOW there's coins there but it's treacherous. I'm going back in the winter with a folding camp saw to cut away some brush and hopefully will have a smaller coil on my machine. Meanwhile, I've got other easier sites to explore. Good luck, I hope you can find a way to get in there effectively.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Sounds like you might have a honey hole in hiding Bear. I'd definitely adopt a site like that if the opportunity arose.

Like coinnut says, start as close as possible. Maybe bring along a small saw and trim a straight path in towards the hole, wide enough to swing for now. If you dig up goodies in that cleared path, you know it's worth the effort to clear out more. And maybe do the trimming where eyes will see it the least in case other detectorists are in the area.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

I never have a problem admitting that sometimes Mother Nature has reclaimed an area. I drive by several sites on a regular basis that holds great potential but has become so overgrown that detecting would not only be difficult, but not worth the risk to hunt. Here in Kentucky the brush can be so dense that I truly marvel that the deer can get through it.
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

I know what you mean. Recently made a visit to one of my old hunting spots...it is now so overgrown with burning bush that i have given up ever hunting there again. When i hunted that spot on a regular basis i would whack away at any shrubs with my small shovel (with one side sharpened) to keep it in check. Nature wins every time
    Minelab Etrac, SEF 8x6.
    Garrett AT Gold, 5x8 coil, Garrett PP
    Equinox 800

It sounds like where my golf ball always ends up.

Call me what you want but...I would simply pass that spot and move to more fun...FUN. Aint no gigantic treasure there.

Quote Originally Posted by mownomo View Post
    It sounds like where my golf ball always ends up.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.