Thread: Colonial Copper? Did I find a King George and didn't even know it?

Colonial Copper? Did I find a King George and didn't even know it?

Or is it my imagination? This one has been intriguing me for a while. I found this back in June. It rang up a 70 on the ATP. It's 27 MM and is pretty thin. Worn smooth. Is there any way to get some more details in case this is a large copper? I've already dry brushed it a bit...

Thanks,

Isaac
    Last edited by Isaac; 09-14-2014 at 06:35 PM.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Hey guys, I am starting to see some details... check out the circled areas! I am thinking it's a King George copper now.

I <3 colonial relics!

Isaac , you could have a light source on one side shine across the face of the coin . This will hit the high spots and create a shadow and will usually give the coin more contrast or definition. If that don't work I usually take a soft brass brush to my smooth worn coppers (in one direction only) , this can sometimes show you an outline of whats on it.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Isaac , you could have a light source on one side shine across the face of the coin . This will hit the high spots and create a shadow and will usually give the coin more contrast or definition. If that don't work I usually take a soft brass brush to my smooth worn coppers (in one direction only) , this can sometimes show you an outline of whats on it.

Dan
    Thanks for replying Dan. When I get home I'll try and get another picture for you. I don't know if I have a brass brush, I'll try to look for one as well.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Would a short dip in Apple Vinegar help ? Apple vinegar has an acidity of 5%.
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

Quote Originally Posted by Beartoe View Post
    Would a short dip in Apple Vinegar help ? Apple vinegar has an acidity of 5%.
    Hey Beartoe do you have any results pictures of this kind of technique on coins ??

More pictures...
    I <3 colonial relics!

Hey Beartoe do you have any results pictures of this kind of technique on coins ??
    I did BUT... the before and after pictures are on a hard drive that crashed last spring.
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Hey guys, I am starting to see some details... check out the circled areas! I am thinking it's a King George copper now.

it does look like letters (V S) that are consistent with a King George copper the latin name of "Georgivs" the "V" is used for a "U" on some of the coins. Isaac if it is a Georgian half penny copper is should be a bit bigger than a modern quarter in size. these are often used to make washers or buttons or just defaced as the loyalty to the king worsened in the colonies.

it does look like letters (V S) that are consistent with a King George copper the latin name of "Georgivs" the "V" is used for a "U" on some of the coins. Isaac if it is a Georgian half penny copper is should be a bit bigger than a modern quarter in size. these are often used to make washers or buttons or just defaced as the loyalty to the king worsened in the colonies.
    Thanks so much for the help Dan!!! I appreciate it tremendously. Yes, t's just slightly bigger than a quarter at 27mm. This is most likely my oldest coin now... I can definitely see the V and S in the coin on the upper left corner. Maybe my next one will be a little bit prettier... I hope. Thanks again!
    I <3 colonial relics!