Thread: Awesome flea market & tag sale finds- you gotta see how lucky I was

Awesome flea market & tag sale finds- you gotta see how lucky I was

I couldn't convince my daughter to go detecting today, but she agreed to hit a local flea market with me.

The first deal of the day was for a BUNCH of old bottles. This was the last day that this particular vendor was setting up at this flea market. I was checking out some old bottles and he comes over & says $20 & you can take em' all. I don't know too much about old bottles, figured it was a good deal, but decided to try and get them even cheaper (that's what your supposed to do, right?). I offered $10, thinking he would either stand strong at $20 or counter with another #. To my surprise, he said sure, why not. He said he didn't know much about bottles other than they are a pain in the ass to keep packing up. He was glad to get rid of them & I was glad to have them.
    (34 bottles comes out to just under .30/bottle)

15 minutes later, I stopped at another booth & picked up 2 rolls of wheat pennies for $1.50/roll. I doubt there are any key dates amongst them, but figured what the heck at .03 each.

neck stop I was checking out some coins. Prices were real high, so I didn't bother trying to dicker. At the end of the table was a plastic bucket filled with miscellaneous odds & ends. The sign read .25 per PC. I decided to rummage through it & was glad I did. I found a total of 9 items- a foreign 1 penny coin, a Kellog's Pep cereal pin, a Coke bottle cap with a picture of baseball player Al Kaline inside, & 6 buttons (3 eagle military buttons & 3 police ??? buttons). I would welcome any info on the buttons if anyone can date them. .25 EACH

The final deal of the day was at a Tag Sale we hit on our way home. It was mostly baby toys, clothes, housewares etc. Then I see 6 Morgan dollars sitting on the table. They were in very good shape, but were not in any protective cases, which I thought was strange. I asked the lady how much she wanted. Amazingly she said $10 each. I began to. Rather than scooping them all up for $60, I asked how much if I buy all of them. She said give me $40 bucks. I couldn't get the money out of my wallet fast enough.

Im not that upset that I couldn't go detecting today.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Great finds and great deals! Did you put a magnet to the Morgans yet?
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Great finds and great deals! Did you put a magnet to the Morgans yet?
    Yes I did. Not magnetic.

The eagle buttons look familiar. Great finds.

I was up in NH the previous weekend (not this past one), and I was kicking myself for not bringing the detector along. OMG how many old places I saw up that way. Esp 2 empty lots across from the early 1900's house (with a small yard) that I was at). I did happen to venture to a flea market as well and an antiques shop. I saw a lucky strike soda bottle at the shop and a nice bicentennial glass plate. I didn't end up getting them but the plate they wanted $8 and I saw it online for $20. At the flea market I saw a replica of your breast plate, but cheap plastic and it looked like it went to a necklace. I saw a bottle with that same symbol and liberty across it. It was cracked on the top and the lady wanted $38 yet online it was selling for $20 in perfect condition. I saw a few medals but they were all from Korean or Vietnam wars.

Great finds, almost better than metal detecting....almost. Back in the day my wife and I were out of control. We would leave the house at 6am to start hitting tag sales and then have to come home to unload the car and then go out again. The good finds really add up.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Awesome tag sale hunt. Great deal on the morgans. What do you think the resale value on the Morgans are?
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

I paid $27 apiece for Morgans a couple weeks ago. You scored a nice bunch of coins.
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

No key dates. Maybe $35-$40 each. Essentially I got a buy one get 5 free deal. I plan on keeping them anyways.