Thread: Need some help on a find. The shape of this has me a little interested.

Need some help on a find. The shape of this has me a little interested.

Found this in an old yard. Shaped like a six pointed star and appears go have a gold plated look to it under the rust. Found this target about 8" in the ground. Something about it just has me interested. Was very rusted when I found it. Pictures are from after I soaked it in vinegar.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

It is interesting. Can you give us an idea of its size?
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That is a nut plate. It typically is attached to a piece of sheet metal. The screw goes up through. They are used in spots where you don't have access to the backside of the fastener. Unless its gynormous or something. Hard to tell against the background.

Ron
    Last edited by Ronandari; 09-30-2014 at 06:57 PM. Reason: added text
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

I'm with Ron. It's odd it had the 'sheriff badge' style versus just hex or simpler shape. Usually I see them with a hex shape with a circular edge.

I dont know. Its almost got me thinking it was a part of some locking device. One side has a tab that sti ks out and it is about the size of a one dollar coin and about a 1/4" thick. Going to clean it up some and post a few more pics just in case somebody else might have a different idea. Thanks for the replies guys.