Thread: Copper/Brass Bracelet And Apple Vinegar

Copper/Brass Bracelet And Apple Vinegar

A week or so ago I found this bracelet. Initialy I thought it was copper as it was somewhat pliable. Today after soaking in apple vinegar over night I was not sure what I had. After soaking I could see some golden reflections and I was wondering if it had been gold plate at one time.

A little soap and water and I discovered the golden color was the base metal still hiding behind some remaining tarnish. Using a Dremel tool and a buffing pad I cleaned it up a little more. It almost has a shine to it. Now I believe it to be a brass composite with a large amount of copper because it is pliable but harder than copper. The soft brass can be reshapped and is very resistant to accidental bending.

Pic. #1 is after the initial soap and water clean.

Name:  Apple Test 1.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  130.9 KB

Pic. #2 is right after the Apple Vinegar soak

Name:  Apple Test 2.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  35.3 KB

Pic. #3 is after a cleaning with the burnishing tool

Name:  Apple Test 3.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  36.5 KB

Pic. #4 NOTE the design on right side looks like a three with a line over it. I believe this is a Hindue symbole for PEACE. This may be a touristy bauble from India.

Name:  Apple Test 4.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  24.0 KB
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

Ave!

Wow! WTF? Your bracelet is a very close match to a very old Scythian copper snake-style trade bracelet, ca. 1st cent AD. The bulk of such bracelets were sold as trade items to Roman buyers. Very cool; almost like discovering a few Roman coins, you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayadigger View Post
    Ave!

Wow! WTF? Your bracelet is a very close match to a very old Scythian copper snake-style trade bracelet, ca. 1st cent AD. The bulk of such bracelets were sold as trade items to Roman buyers. Very cool; almost like discovering a few Roman coins, you know?
    i have to say that does look very roman to me having dug a few like it back in England , i would have that checked out mate you may have something special there.

Actually I have been wearing the copper bracelet. I was hoping the copper would help alleviate my arthritis. My wrist has not turned green. The jury has not decided if it works.
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter