Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whites Spectra V3/V3i Coil Problems - Progress Reports And Experiences

Whites Spectra V3/V3i Coil Problems - Progress Reports And Experiences

This is getting to be a real problem with the Vision/V3/V3i detector. All this time on the market and the stock D2 coil is still a piece of junk. White's is charging for upgrades to a detector that has serious coil problems. I have had 2 bad D2 coils in the past and finally Whites was kind enough to send me a V rated Super12 the last time in. Early this Spring I purchased another D2 coil and have had really great hunts with it and have grown to like it tremendously. It has become my coil of choice, just edging out the 112 SEF for accurate frequency response. Today I went out to the local park by my house to relax and had not been hunting more than 30 minutes when I started getting instability showing up. I looked around to see if there might be an EMI source causing the problems. Sometimes generators used by city workers will do this. I finally did the Whites approved test for checking the D2 coil, RX up to 15 and TX Boost turned on. Bingo it overloaded all over the place. As a matter of fact I could not get the RX above 9. I had 2 more V rated coils with me in the car. I switched out to the 950 and tested and then the Super12 both were solid as a rock. So, here I sit with my 3rd bad D2 coil. I will send it in tomorrow. This is sure not the quality control I have been used to in the past with my DFX and MXT. I don't think I will be spending any money on getting the V3 updated. Paying to be a guinea pig is not my idea of good customer service.

So, here is my open and direct question to Whites. Is the D2 coil issue resolved at this point, or do you continue to sell new Spectra V3i detectors with the same manufacture of coil that has this great potential to fail? Are the new individual D2 coils for sale on dealers shelves good ones, or do they have the same potential to fail as my new coil did? If the issue is not resolved, how can you still choose to sell a product that has such great potential to fail in good conscience?

I would really like an answer to this.

Thanks,
    Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Veteran Member

Re: Another Bad D2 Coil - This is My 3rd One On the V3

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    I finally did the Whites approved test for checking the D2 coil, RX up to 15 and TX Boost turned on. Bingo it overloaded all over the place.
    Jack, is this an air test or a ground test? I knew mine was bad when it was overloading on canslaw and falsing constantly. I didn't know of this test, but a coil shouldn't overload on canslaw IMO. On another, I was using the recommended RX test of 7 or less in the air (at one time, I believe White's said this was a valid test, now they are saying they removed recommended RX from the upgrade because people were using it to test the D2, so I dunno).

BTW, have you tried the 6x10. Everyone is telling me to scrap the D2 and just get that, but I'm not made of money, and didn't think it was right to have to buy a coil to get around the bad D2 issues. But now that I will be getting more story money for my half dime story, I just might try that. Or, I might just stick with the E-trac; I don't think it has ever overloaded.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

I did not use the old recommended RX as a test. This was an air test with the procedure I saw documented on Whites forum. I don't buy into the hoopla on the 6x10 getting as deep as the D2. A 6 inch dd coil verses 10 inch dd coil. The physical properties just don't add up. I have a V-rated 6X10 and it is not even close in comparison in my tests. I will go back to the 112 SEF before I use the 6X10 on a regular basis. The E-Trac is sounding better every day... lol

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

How would you test the D2 on a DFX to see if its bad ?
    I'm having serious falsing problems with my D2 also.
    I love this coil. For a 10 inch coil the seperation and pinpointing is pretty remarkable
    The stock coil and my 6x10 seeem to be fine.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Jack, As far as I know the test that Whites recommends is to be done without the TX Boost being on: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,...02#msg-1161702
    White's V3i Excalibur 1000

Candidate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schrecky View Post
    Jack, As far as I know the test that Whites recommends is to be done without the TX Boost being on: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?66,...02#msg-1161702
    The test changed a few weeks back - it's now hold at waist level with Rx at 15 but with Tx Boost OFF.
    2010 hammie count - 24: 2011 = 1

Wow, I thought that had been resolved a long time ago.

I'm going to kiss my Pro coil when I get home.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    I'm going to kiss my Pro coil when I get home.
    lol lol lol

this is part of the reason i don't want to invest in a v3i , the standard coil issues . i was hoping it would of been resolved by now .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks for the post Cyber. I wanted a V3i really bad and almost pulled the trigger. But I don't think I could use one without worrying the whole time. I opted for an Etrac which I should receive today. I wanted a V3i but will be happy with the Minelab. Are you listening White's?
    Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - Deus

It would appear that The test should be done with the TX boost off. The test has changed again. I guess this is one way to keep the repair cost down. Well this just really makes me sad. I noticed noise issues and instability before even doing a test of any kind. The coil is way more susceptible ti EMI now and I definitely have to turn down sensitivity a lot. I know the exact swing when things went to crap. I was out in the middle of the park. This a large quiet park and I can easily push the V3 out to an RX of 12 and a DS of 95. After the Null Shifted (This is the terminology being used by Whites now) I had to back things down to an RX of 8 to get my DS at 95. I used to be able to air test in my house with the RX at 3 or 4 and the DS at 92. I can't do it at all now. Bummer This is definitely not the same coil that I have been hunting with the last 6 months.

I guess I have a good coil however, because I can set the RX to 15 at waist high with no overload. Just to let everyone know My 112 SEF coil now runs with a higher RX with and without the TX Boost. Man am I depressed.

I am going to pursue this. I will let you all know how it goes.

Jack

***UPDATE***

I just spoke with a technician at Whites Factory in Oregon. I am not going to reveal his name at this time as I do not want to put him on the spot. I explained to him what happened and asked what if any test I could do to Check the coil myself before sending it in for their diagnostic work. He replied....

Hold the coil in the air and turn the RX to 15. Then turn the TX Boost ON If it overloads you have a bad coil.

I repeated this back and then again asked, If for sure the TX Boost should be turned ON when performing this test.

He replied Yes turn ON the TX Boost.

I told him I was getting overload and he said send it in. So, I don't know what the policy is? The post from the Whites forum seem pretty clear about it being OFF, but the Tech said &quotN.

Stay tuned...

My 10D2 can't even pass the Rx = 15 airtest with the boost off.

That is the biggest piece of junk White's ever distributed.

Mine is so bad that it won't run on an MXT with the Gain set anywhere above 3.

It's my second one and I'm gonna turn it in to Sweet Home when I send my V in for the V3i mod this fall.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Candidate Member

***UPDATE***

I just spoke with a technician at Whites Factory in Oregon. I am not going to reveal his name at this time as I do not want to put him on the spot. I explained to him what happened and asked what if any test I could do to Check the coil myself before sending it in for their diagnostic work. He replied....

Hold the coil in the air and turn the RX to 15. Then turn the TX Boost ON If it overloads you have a bad coil.

I repeated this back and then again asked, If for sure the TX Boost should be turned ON when performing this test.

He replied Yes turn ON the TX Boost.

I told him I was getting overload and he said send it in. So, I don't know what the policy is? The post from the Whites forum seem pretty clear about it being OFF, but the Tech said &quotN.

Stay tuned...
    I queried this with the UK factory a few weeks ago when my 6x10 went just the way you describe. The Tech there said he had been instructed by the US factory to test with Tx OFF. I asked for confirmation and was referred to Carl @ Whites (you all know who he is, I am sure). He emailed me personally and confirmed the Tx should be off. There is a Factory Sticky on another forum that confirms this is the case. I guess not everyone is on message yet. I'd email Carl PERSONALLY if I were you .........

Candidate Member

It would appear that The test should be done with the TX boost off. The test has changed again. I guess this is one way to keep the repair cost down. Well this just really makes me sad. I noticed noise issues and instability before even doing a test of any kind. The coil is way more susceptible ti EMI now and I definitely have to turn down sensitivity a lot. I know the exact swing when things went to crap. I was out in the middle of the park. This a large quiet park and I can easily push the V3 out to an RX of 12 and a DS of 95. After the Null Shifted (This is the terminology being used by Whites now) I had to back things down to an RX of 8 to get my DS at 95. I used to be able to air test in my house with the RX at 3 or 4 and the DS at 92. I can't do it at all now. Bummer This is definitely not the same coil that I have been hunting with the last 6 months.

I guess I have a good coil however, because I can set the RX to 15 at waist high with no overload. Just to let everyone know My 112 SEF coil now runs with a higher RX with and without the TX Boost. Man am I depressed.

I am going to pursue this. I will let you all know how it goes.

Jack
    I had coil issues (see other post) but also use the 10x12 and 12x15 SEFs and I also find them very good on the V3i. Today I was running a modified C&J program with Rx at 11 or 12 and Sens at 90/65. It ran perfectly in 3-freqs Salt mode and was finding lots of little bits including a 13thC hammered silver penny.

Quote Originally Posted by ramases View Post
    I had coil issues (see other post) but also use the 10x12 and 12x15 SEFs and I also find them very good on the V3i. Today I was running a modified C&J program with Rx at 11 or 12 and Sens at 90/65. It ran perfectly in 3-freqs Salt mode and was finding lots of little bits including a 13thC hammered silver penny.
    I have my 112 SEF on my V3 right now. I have to admit I really love this little coil. Sounds like they are doing the job for you!

I have had the same problem with my D2 coil. I have mine sent in now and I am waiting for its return. crying01 This will be my 5th coil!
    Although I am very upset about this coil issue because when it works, it works great, I have an arsenal of other coils to choose from. I feel that this is a big problem with Whites that I am sure they are working on...as I was told.

I do not have the upgrade and I will not be getting it because they took too much stuff out like transfer of programs and suggested rx gain. >:\ Then, they did change the way the D2 coil is tested from rx at 15 with boost on to just rx 15. I understand that overseas is done this way also. I have had D2 coils last from 6 months to one that lasted 3 days.

Although I am frustrated with this issue, I am not prepared to throw out the V3 just because of one coil that they cant get right. The machine itself is a great machine and works great with my other coils. Last night I was out and was pulling wheats at 12 to 14 inches. I was using the 10x12 sef butterfly and my rx was 10 and disc at 85. The D2 could do this very easy and with better ID on the object but I have learned to adapt and overcome the D2 issue. I am already digging holes that I really dont want to dig because of the depth of this machine... Getting rid of the machine because of one coil that will not work is like getting rid of a nice car because the stereo keeps messing up... Just replace the stereo until there is a fix for the stock one.
    At least Whites will keep replacing the coil without having to buy another. How many other company's will do that?
    I thought this was suppose to be an info forum to talk about Whites and how to help each other and work on things together. I have seen nothing on here that is anything like that. I go to other forums to get info and discuss things because that is what they do there. Not in this one. Jack, it sounds like you have been wanting an etrack for a while now. Maybe its best that you get one and stop bashing whites for one bad coil that they have that they are working on... How is this helping anyone on this forum? Especially being a moderator? I feel that this site will just turn onto a minelab dominate site and thats too bad because there are alot of great detectors out there that are just right for certain people. I have never bashed any detector and never will....
    Just my thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by magic View Post
    Getting rid of the machine because of one coil that will not work is like getting rid of a nice car because the stereo keeps messing up... Just replace the stereo until there is a fix for the stock one.
    I don't understand that analogy. A car doesn't need a stereo in order for it to be functional. Not so with a detector and coil.

I thought this was suppose to be an info forum to talk about Whites and how to help each other and work on things together. I have seen nothing on here that is anything like that. I go to other forums to get info and discuss things because that is what they do there. Not in this one. Jack, it sounds like you have been wanting an etrack for a while now. Maybe its best that you get one and stop bashing whites for one bad coil that they have that they are working on... How is this helping anyone on this forum? Especially being a moderator? I feel that this site will just turn onto a minelab dominate site and thats too bad because there are alot of great detectors out there that are just right for certain people. I have never bashed any detector and never will....
    No one has bashed anything on this thread or this forum, or we would have pulled the plug on it by now. However, this last post from you is getting close.

People are allowed to express their opinions respectfully. Insulting people is not allowed. You are free to go to those other forums magic, if you are not happy with the info you are getting here.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Hey Magic, I understand your frustration, but this is an open forum for posting what you learned and what you don't like about your machine. Right now a lot of people are having issues with White's coils. It may seem like bashing to you, but If I were considering buying a new detector, I would be greatful that I learned of the problems before I dished out $1500.00. That goes for any detector including the E Trac. The reason you don't see any bad talk on that other forum is because it gets pulled in a heart beat. I'm sure some people were banned because it was not good talk for their sponcers. An honest forum is one that praises when done well, and complains when it's not right. I hated my E Trac when I first got it and was really mad that it came out before White's Vision did. I wanted A White's but couldn't come up with another $1500.00. Now I thank God that I didn't get the Vision. I probably would have borrowed the cash and bought one if it wasn't for these types of posts. Remember it just can't be CyberSage, Lowjiber and Yazoo putting their programs and thoughts on this forum. We need total participation from all V3 users. So maybe if more people posted their experiences we would have that type of forum. But those 3 guys have done a great deal in getting people started with their V3's. I think they deserve some credit too. Just my two cents.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Magic,

I fully respect your point of view. I am glad you feel that you have the freedom here on this forum to voice your thoughts. That's what this forum is about. Most other forums do not have this level of tolerance. Your post will stand, as will mine. I am a realist when it comes to detecting. I am after old coins and relaxation. While I am a long time loyal Whites user, I would not hesitate to purchase a Minelab detector. I am not that narrow minded. I still have my DFX and I will never part with my Vision. I wish I still had my MXT, that was a mistake to sell that detector. By reading your post I can tell you are very balanced, objective, and fair in your observations. We need people like you to participate here. Your knowledge and experience is welcomed. I am not sure why you felt the need to call me out, but I have no problem defending my views and thoughts I share here. Thanks for participating Magic, I like you. Your a lot like me. lol

Jack

***UPDATE***

I sent my coil off Friday and it should arrive by Monday. I sent it directly to the Tech I spoke with on the phone.

I have had the same problem with my D2 coil. I have mine sent in now and I am waiting for its return. crying01 This will be my 5th coil!
    Although I am very upset about this coil issue because when it works, it works great, I have an arsenal of other coils to choose from. I feel that this is a big problem with Whites that I am sure they are working on...as I was told.
    Back on topic... 5 bad coils is astounding! Were all the failures the same in nature? What did you first notice behaviorally that tipped you off that you had a bad coil. Do the failure times seem to be about the same?

Jack