Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whites Spectra V3/V3i Coil Problems - Progress Reports And Experiences

Re: Another Bad D2 Coil - This is My 3rd One On the V3

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbooty View Post
    Tesoro has been doing this for some time and you can submit more than one coil to have adjusted to a machine and it is usually free of charge . You can also send in a sample of dirt to have one of their non - self ground balancing machines adjusted to .
    See, I would be all for that, and I think everyone would realize that it's just the nature of coils to get out of sinc with the machine. I would be first in line to get both my E Trac and my DFX sent in for tuneups. I bet when the Tesoros come back from the factory it is a pleasantly noticible difference. Any detector companies out there listening? Or are we just wasting internet space.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I bet when the Tesoros come back from the factory it is a pleasantly noticible difference. Any detector companies out there listening? Or are we just wasting internet space.
    [/quote]

I had two detectors tuned up by them and yes there was a very noticible difference .

Ive had 3 D2s for my V3 also.The first got sent back and exchanged about six months after buying the detector.The second had the slow degrading characteristics of the first.That was this spring.I was going to send it into Whites but when I stopped into my dealers shop he had a D2 on sale for $149 and with the weekend coming up I figured what the hell and bought it.The other D2 that went south got set in my hobby room and forgot about.The new coil worked great and the only thing I noticed different about it was that it had orange lettering on it rather than white like my previous D2s.Recently this newly purchased D2 started up with the same problems,so just out of curiousity I pulled the D2 I had put in the hobby room and put it on the detector and was amazed when the coil acted like brand new.Ive been hunting with it ever since and always get a recommended RX of 15 with none of the BS falsing at lower RX's.Ever heard of a coil going back into null? Im also with you on the 6X10,Jack,it is not even comparable to a good D2 performance wise.When I see a quarter get pulled at 10 in my ground with a 6X10 then I'll become a believer. lol
    E-Trac, X-1
    Sovereign GT, S-1
    Ace 250

I just purchased and learning my V3i. So now how exactly do I tell if my D2 coil has gone bad? I understand how to test it- is it okay to do that pretty often or just now and then? Or will it be obvious when it goes bad? lol I admit I've never had a new coil on any of my detectors, I've always stuck with the one it came with. Getting ready to change that now though- buying Handyman's 6 DD coil for trashy areas. Any other suggestions for my NEXT coil, there's such variety! I haven't studied up much on coils- my goal is deep silver and much older relics.
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Ok, I'm sending my D2 and Super 12 coils back to Whites for replacement. Both of them generate a lot of false signals and noise when the coil is held in the air (or on the ground) and softly giggled. They both also overload with RX=15 and TX B=on.

With my 9.5 and my 5.3 coils I do not experience either of these annoying on going problems. They do not make noise when giggled or overload with RX=15 and TX B=on.

White's V3i Excalibur 1000

Hi Schrecky, with their new test I don't think they will replace coils that will run RX 15 with boost off. Remember I have no inside information.

As far as I know all the previous coils also used epoxy in their construction. I believe if you put a bad V rated coil on a M6, MXT or DFX you would find you had a good coil. They don't use the 22.5 frequency so they don't have the problem. These detectors don't need the exact null so you don't see a problem. My bad 6x10 works super on my MXT.

I have a 6x10 that runs RX15 with boost on when cool, but will not run boost when run for a while in the sun.

When the coils leave the factory they are in null specifications.

I don't think you will find the null problem with the concentric coils because the DD coil alignment is just more critical. When is the last time you heard of a 5.3 or 9.5 with the problem. That is excluding Jack's 12. DD's are more sensitive to the problem.

I wish I knew more about the problem or if there is a fix. Rob
    Advise is cheap, mine is free.
    V3 MXT Mr. Bill IDX

Well, with or without the TX Boost in the equation the more serious problem is that when ever the coil wiggles it causes all kinds of noise and signals on my V3i. They are really un-usable. My other two coils work just fine.

If that is the case that should do it. Rob
    Advise is cheap, mine is free.
    V3 MXT Mr. Bill IDX

***UPDATE***

I sent my D2 off in the mail Friday, June 18th. I sent it priority mail and the postal worker said it would arrive on Monday, June 21st. Today in the mail (June 29th), I received a letter in the mail with the following message...

Your repair has been received by White's Electronics, Inc.'s
    Service Department.

It will be serviced and returned to you as soon as possible. usually
    within 10 to 15 working days. Some repairs may take a little longer
    if more evaluation and testing are required.

We are working to provide the fastest service possible that is consistent
    with White's quality standards and your long-term satisfaction.

Thank you,

Laura Barret
    Customer Service Repair
    email: lbarrett@whiteselectronics.com
    541-367-6121 Ext: 128

The Service Department Acknowledgment was dated 6/22/2010

I have never received a letter from Whites like this before. My previous two bad D2 coils took less than 10 days to get a replacement coil back. May be they are busy with V3i upgrades. In any case it looks like I will be going back to my local dealer and purchasing another D2 coil. I should be safe for at least another year this way. I mean what are the odds of both my D2 coils going bad at the same time. rofl I can just send one in and use the other one until it gets back. I wish this would have happened in the dead of Winter when the ground is frozen. Unfortunately, it is the middle of hunting season. For the life of me I can not figure out why they just did not send an email or give me a call. They must be very busy right now. I guess in the day and age of electronic communication it was nice to receive a letter in the mail. I actually kind of like that approach. It reminds me of when I was a kid and used to send off cereal box tops for toy prizes. I loved waiting for the mailman. It was an exciting feeling then. Now, I am waiting again 40 years later! Is it still kind of exciting? ... not really.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

wow are they that back-logged on repairing them Jack they couldn't even just exchange it by giving you a new one
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

You know, I am not really sure del. Can you repair a bad coil? Seems like it would be pretty tough to repair a composite epoxy filled coil. May be they can. Anyone know if this is possible? How long can it take to test it out? May be I should have sent in my V3 and $125 for the V3i upgrade. I have read on other forums people are getting really good turn around time on upgrades. I have an all day hunt planned for this holiday weekend. I will be using my DFX.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    You know, I am not really sure del. Can you repair a bad coil? Seems like it would be pretty tough to repair a composite epoxy filled coil. May be they can. Anyone know if this is possible? How long can it take to test it out? May be I should have sent in my V3 and $125 for the V3i upgrade. I have read on other forums people are getting really good turn around time on upgrades. I have an all day hunt planned for this holiday weekend. I will be using my DFX.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack
    Jack, I think you need to send them a link to this thread.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    I will write the link to this thread down in a letter, and get it mailed off to Whites first thing in the morning.

Hopefully that is just a standard letter that they are sending out to keep in touch. Maybe it's already being processed. I've received some of them letters from other (non detecting) companies, when I already had the product back lol Sometimes it just gets sent out as a courtesy. Hope you get it back soon.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I hope your right. I would like to stay as positive as I can. I have had this happen with computer equipment many times. I get the letter and then the equipment shows the next day. I am still going to use the DFX this weekend. Gonna strap on the Bigfoot coil and try to rake some quarters and dig some pull tabs. I need a a little change of pace. I used to have a lot of fun with the Bigfoot...

Oh boy, I sent mine in on the 23rd. Guess I should be looking for a letter too. crying01

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    Excellent idea... this thread has been up, down and all around

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

I just found this post on the findmall forums concerning the testing methodology used to determine a bad V - Rated coil. It is dated May 24th. Apparently the test was altered at this time by Carl at Whites Electronics to having the TX Boost = OFF. So technically the coil I sent in is still considered good. The good news is I performed this same test on my old original coils for the DFX including the Eclipse 6X10 and my Bigfoot coil and they passed! My SEF coil passed with flying colors as well. So it would seem that Whites has lowered the standards of the V - Rated coil to the point where almost any coil will pass the test ( my old 950 did not pass ). So looking at the below quote from Carl this change is to keep customers from wanting yet another loop.

Changing the test
    Posted by: Carl-NC [ Send a Message ]
    Date: May 24, 2010 04:33PM Registered: 4 years ago

It's true that I've instructed UK to test V-loops at Rx=15 and TXB=off. As we've gotten more long-term data on our V-nulled loops it has become apparent that nulls are shifting slightly over time. This results in loops that may overload at Rx=15 and TXB=on. Replacing a loop is usually only a short-term solution as the replacement loop may eventually shift as well, and 6 months later the customer is wanting yet another loop.

It's an unfortunate reality of the manufacturing process that things like this take a long time to see clearly. I am personally working on this issue, but possible solutions also take a long time to evaluate. Meanwhile, we will replace loops if they overload at Rx=15 and TXB=off.

- Carl

Well, I received my letter from Whites today that they have received my coils (D2 & S12). I know the test had changed to TX = off. The two coils I sent them failed the test with TX = On but more importantly they made all kinds of noise when shook or touching anything during the swing and even at the end of a swing. My other two coils have neither of these problems (9.5 & 5.3).

Thanks for keeping us updated Schrecky! I think this thread will be a good place to compare notes. For anyone else dealing with V - Rated coil issues, please feel free to share information here. I switched back to the SEF from the V - Rated 950. I am getting a little better depth with the 112 SEF. After using the D2 for the laxt 5 months I am really used to the separation at depth, which the SEF provides as well. I think I will be happy with this configuration until V - Rated coil issues get resolved.

Jack