Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My best find ever!!!!

My best find ever!!!!

This is my first official post on this forum and I thought it would be fitting to describe my best find ever. I started detecting in Spring of 2013 and found my first silvers in Fall of 2013, but didn't find anything pre 1900 until March of 2014. I discovered a cellar hole sort of by chance as it is not shown on any map. The cellar hole is very old and consists of just a small indentation surrounding by rocks. There is a small mound right next to the cellar hole but loaded with rocks which makes digging difficult. The cellar holes is off a path and the path had been previously used as a road but now is simply used as a trail. So, in March of 2014 I discovered the cellar hole and started to find various flat buttons and lead objects. My first coin find was an 1802 Draped Bust large cent which made me go absolutely nuts as my previous oldest find was an 1908 Indian Head penny found back in November. The draped bust was right on the mound next to the cellar hole. A few minutes later I found another copper which I have still yet to identify. I started coming back every chance I got during my weekends and found a pistol ball. musket ball and another buttons. I ventured away from the cellar hole one day and found a 1904s barber dime, a semi key date and at the time was my most valuable coin. I also detecting the trail and found a buffalo nickel, a 3 coin indian head spill, some gold plated things, and a really really ugly indian head. So, one day in early April I head to the cellar at the crack of dawn as I usually do and start detecting. I wasn't having much luck but dug a small cuff button and a few other relics that I can't exactly remember. I get a signal on my Garrett Ace 350 (I currently use the AT pro and 350) that is ringing up as a midtone. Now I've dug my fair share of shot gun shells from this site but also gotten some nice flat buttons. I dig down about 4 inches and I right away see something yellow in the hole. Now at this point my heart is beating and my mind is shouting "gold gold gold". I then notice that it is a coin. I am thinking "early American gold coin" in my head. I reach in and pull it out and notice a mans head on the front. I realize this is a foreign gold coin. I may have felt disappointed for a second but excitement takes over and I start thinking "Oh my god, oh my god". I make a guess that the coin is a British gold sovereign. I then proceed to call my dad and tell him over the phone that I found gold. I think he might have been more excited then I was. I get home and after some brief research discover the coin is A British King George III Gold Guinea with a spade reverse and the coin dates from 1790. I was beyond ecstatic. Most people dream of finding one gold coin in their lifetime and I found one with only one year of detecting experience. I still can not believe I dug this coin and appreciate since I may never dig another gold coin again.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

sorry for the photos being upside down I am still trying to get the hang of all this
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

WOW.....a 1790 gold coin. Who cares if its foreign or not. Its a gold coin..... Thanks for posting this, made my day.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

your welcome, it made my day back in April as well.

Here's the dime by the way
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Holy Moly ! Gold. I am sooo jealouse.

That is an excellent way to give your wish list a head start. Congratulations.
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

WOW!!!!!!! A gold coin isn't even on my bucket list because it is just too impossible. Beautiful

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Wow do you know how much money that was back in 1790 ??? it would be in the neighborhood of 312 half pennies to equal that one coin...what a great find
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

AMAZING FIND!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Heck of a first post ! Welcome to the forum . Congrats on some amazing finds ! That gold coin is incredible !

Wow, those are some great finds!!!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Whoa... That's a find of a lifetime for sure! Hope you're still hitting that hole.

Welcome to the site!
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

I already commented in your album but I need to comment in this thread as well.

AMAZING FIND!!!!!!

I think that is the most incredible find I've seen posted on this forum!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

that is every detectorist dream Wow I would of died of pure excitement
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Yeah, I've done the same as Tony and already commented on your album. Regardless, this will be one of, if not THE find of your lifetime. So rare.

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Amazing! Major congrats.
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

BIG congrats to you on your lovely gold coin, sir. Definitely the find of a lifetime. Now get out there and find us some more.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Elite Member
    That's a keeper. Nice looking coins WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

Amazing find!A gold coin is what we all dream of finding! love your bust largy too!
    Welcome to the forum! HH

Welcome to the forum from central Maryland. Outstanding finds.