Thread: Metal detecting the woods and finding a new cellar

Hybrid View

Metal detecting the woods and finding a new cellar

I went detecting today in Massachusetts up in the woods behind my grandmothers house. I had been up there in the woods before but never with a detector. I headed out in the pouring rain because I was determined to get to this location before the hunting season began. I was looking for a cellar hole that was supposedly near an old well that my family had filled about 40-50 years ago because it was still open and dangerous. I found a couple shot gun shells along the way and also a metal paper mate pen. I got onto this trail in the woods and started finding some coins. Of course they were modern copper pennies. Anyway I was getting pretty soaked and started heading back toward the house by way of an ATV/bike trail that's been around since the 40's. After a little bit I get a signal in the 60's on the AT Pro. About 4-5 inches down, a colonial shoe buckle fragment pops out. The cellar house must be close! I look to my right and see two depressions close together and decide to investigate. Right away there's iron and that usually means something. A little bit of trash too. I get a good lowish mid tone and out pops a coin, well I thought it was a coin. Turns out to be a thick tombac button with no shank. By this time I was pretty soaked and decided to head back but a return trip is ahead in the calendar, on a sunnier day of course.
    I also found some clad and a 1948 wheat penny in a spill with a memorial
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

tombacs and shoe buckle parts are a great sign something is near or your on a very old trail or road.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Congrats on the finds. Can't wait to see what you pull out on a return trip. Sounds very promising.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Sounds like mission accomplished. Your button and shoe buckle piece are good signs. Looking forward to updates from this site.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

It looks like a promising spot .Good luck on your return trips .

The place is strange cause there are very little stone walls and none right near the cellar
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Sounds like you zero'd in on the place. Hit it hard.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

I am planning on heading back to Massachusetts tomorrow after my one and only class. I will update you guys later that evening with hopefully some great finds