Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annual Road Trip to Ohio with Tony Two-Cent--Best Finds EVER!

Annual Road Trip to Ohio with Tony Two-Cent--Best Finds EVER!

Hey Diggers,

For the third year in a row, Tony Two-Cent and I have driven to Ohio to try to find the older coins that we just can't find here in Illinois. Each year we meet up with the other Tony (Bell-Two) and he graciously shows us around to a few spots. This year was no exception. Bell-Two took us to several parks that he has found good coins at. He also gave us a lead on a pre-Civil War park. This park has been heavily hunted but good coins can still be found there. Thank you SO MUCH Tony for your kindness and generosity! It is always such a pleasure to see you and Diane and look at your latest treasures.

The next day, Tony Two-Cent and I departed in the pouring rain for the old park. It was a dreary ride with rain and fog the whole way. Miraculously, it stopped raining just as we pulled up to the park! The sun came out and we hunted under ideal conditions. It took me an hour just to find my first old coin. It was a 1929 mercury dime that was hidden with some rusty nails.

My next find was the best find of my metal detecting career! I got a weak 12-40 at 10 inches deep. There was several nails giving off falsing all around the 12-40 signal but it was repeatable so I dug. After scooping out 9 inches of dirt and rusty nails, my probe still showed a 12-40 signal at the edge of the hole. Definitely a wheat penny I thought. My next scoop of dirt revealed a large silver disc. I immediately recognized the image! I started screaming for Tony to come over and see what was in the hole! I could hardly breathe & my heart was beating so fast.

Here is the pictures of my best find so far:

Name:  IMG_0370.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  67.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0371.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  71.1 KB

The rest of the week is pretty much a blur but we hunted so many old parks, schools, and even some door knocking. Tony is a great friend and detectorist and I very much enjoy his company and fellowship as we treasure hunt. Here are some of my other good finds. I don't even know how many wheat cents I found. I still need to do a lot of cleaning! Thanks for looking and HH, Dave.

Name:  IMG_0387.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  59.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_0388.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  60.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0389.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  60.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_0406.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  51.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0402.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  26.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_0405.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  27.2 KB

Thanks again Tony Two-Cent and Tony Bell-Two for a very memorable week!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Damn!!! What a trip!!! What a beautiful Seated Half and three 2 cent pieces... Congrats to you on a wonderful trip with great finds and most importantly great friends!!!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Dave , I've been waiting excitedly on this post for a few days now
    WOW Dave .... what a coin to find and you couldn't ask for better condition and a trio of two-centers well done sir
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

it sure looks like it was a good trip congrats on your finds

WOW!! Now that is a Road Trip!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Holy ####...beautiful seated half!!!! Congrats on your great hunt
    Minelab Etrac, SEF 8x6.
    Garrett AT Gold, 5x8 coil, Garrett PP
    Equinox 800

That's a beautiful half, and that 1865 2-cent is very clean! Congrats on the great scores!
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Congrats on your splendid week, Dave! You found so many nice coins, but that Seated Half is off the charts! That's a coin that few detectorists will ever dig, especially in that condition. It must have been freshly minted when it was dropped. It was a real thrill seeing it in the hole, thanks for calling me over so I could witness it coming out of the dirt!

On to the next!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Dave, what a beauty of a seated half. I can see why the rest of the week was just a blur. Nice going on getting 3 2 center's in just a week. Sounds like the two of you had a great trip and thanks for posting this.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Wow, wow and wow. What a super great road trip and hunt. Simply awesome finds. Congratulations.

What an amazing hunt you had. I bet your heart is still beating fast. I know mine would be. It's in incredible condition.
    That's a once in a lifetime BANNER find. And 3 two centers too. A well deserved Congrats to you Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Elite Member
    Man that is a gorgeous coin. Great detail as well. The 3 2 Cent pieces are pretty amazing as well. Great hunt you and Tony had. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

What everyone else said and

Outstanding

Look at that Seated! You got a time machine? Looks like it was a fresh drop! Love all of the other finds as well!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    Super job bouys. Very very nice!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

Wow that is a dream coin and its in beautiful condition and to find a 2 cent piece is awesome but to find 3 in a week is absolutely amazing you and Tony had a great week of detecting
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Dave that seated half is simply mind blowing. I don't know how you kept detecting after that! The three centers are also amazing and I know how rare they are (I was lucky enough to find my first two this year) but man that seated half is spectacular. I don't know how you could ever top that find. I would actually take that over a Morgan or Peace Dollar any day! Major congrats!
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

Now THAT is an interesting park to hunt !!!!

Congrats on the Seated half and the 3 (!!) 2 cents !

Thanks for sharing.

A 155 year old coin in amazing condition. That is a beauty. Congrats
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button