Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old silver

Don, not an expert at handwriting, so I cannot say the same individual did the monogram on the two spoons, one of yours and the one Kay had in her article. But the similarities of the lettering, how in general they were done seem to me that it was done by the same individual. Opinions welcomed. Of course I sure would never tell a woman (Kay) she is wrong on this one, but she sure could be.

Don H
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Don , while somewhat similar they look noticeably different to me . It was a popular style of writing with the large scripted lettering , I was fortunate enough to find a coin silver spoon myself it also has that "looked" monogram letters but it had a very easily to id makers mark. while mine is a "fiddle" style it looks a bit older then the types shown above .

Joha Corbett http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....iths/83457.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Jyes View Post
    Don, not an expert at handwriting, so I cannot say the same individual did the monogram on the two spoons, one of yours and the one Kay had in her article. But the similarities of the lettering, how in general they were done seem to me that it was done by the same individual. Opinions welcomed. Of course I sure would never tell a woman (Kay) she is wrong on this one, but she sure could be.

Don H
    I agree on the similarity. I sent Kay an email with photos and I'll see if I hear back.
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

Quote Originally Posted by don in ny View Post
    I agree on the similarity. I sent Kay an email with photos and I'll see if I hear back.
    I was just about to reply to Del about the slight differences and ask if he thinks all our handwriting stays the same over the years, I know my signature now is nowhere near what it was 20 years ago. I'm just bugged that the maker's name is not on yours or Neil's spoon, thus doubt about who was the silversmith for sure, since Henderson seemed to use it on his spoons, even before he was solo with his work. So it may be the "unknown" silversmith that Kay mentions, again do not have any of books on the subject so at the whims of googling. Don H

Some silverware makers sold their goods to others who sold it in their shops. The makers marks would represent the manufacturer and the name stamp would be who sold it. I think this is frequently the case when you have a name as well as maker's marks.
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter