Thread: Not my best day swinging - 10/12

Not my best day swinging - 10/12

But sure was a nice day to be out doing it.

Threw my stuff in the car after my morning chores and headed out with no plan whatsoever. No signs of life where I wanted to knock, but noticed the folks that Lee and I had detected a couple weeks ago were home and in the doings.
    Since it's apple harvest here in town, stopped at one of the stands in town and picked up a fresh apple pie as a thank you, and swung back into their yard. Chatted a bit, and then suited up for round 2 in their yard.

Picked up where Lee and I left off, but pickin's were slim on the side yard. Had hopes around the barn but all I got was some clad, and other odds and ends of coinshooting size. Big letdown was a thin slice of 2" lead pipe, sure looked and sounded good. Lot of big metal targets overloading the V3i around the barn too, guessing old tin roof? Gave up after a couple hours and moved on.
    Name:  DK1.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  91.0 KB
    Name:  DK2.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  66.0 KB

Wanted to try out my new hiking pack and get off lawns for a change, so took a ride to some trails that weren't far from walls I could see on Google. Tried along them for an hour or so, but all I got was hunter's leavings, and a couple farming "relics". A multi-wrench and the blade from a sythe. Skeeters were happy to see me though.
    Not my best day, but don't care. Fantastic fall day to be out and about. Thanks for reading and HH!

Name:  Wallstuff2.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  103.8 KB
    Name:  Wallstuff.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  99.3 KB
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

At least you got out and fed the mosquitos. Very nice jester with the apple pie. That house sure looks like some goodies should be there.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I almost stopped by that house a few months back. I had a place a ways up the road that I visited with some strange finds. I saw the guy outside sitting at his table near the back porch and even up a ways saw a woman unloading stuff at her early 1800's house and then the 1810 house over there (the plaque out front says 1810) the guy was sitting in a lawn chair. For some odd reason I didn't try to stop at those places in favor for another place that didn't quite produce as well. Oh well. So thats what an old multi-wrench looked like? Never saw one before.

As long as you get out swinging.... (but I still expect a little luck for my efforts). I haven't been out as much as I would have like this summer. One factor being health. A few weeks ago I went to a place from the 1840's, but I was banking on the fact it wasn't on any map that no one was there before. A few wheats did pop up and some pendant from the 70's as well as a cowboy valley good luck token. Not what I would have expected.

Days like this are what make the great finds great Brian , the second area picture looks like a sweet place to swing best of luck on your next outing sir.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

It probably still has some Al. New guy, new toy. Almost all the goodies between Lee and I came between those 2 porches and the side street with the big tree. The yard to the main road is where the power comes in, and the V3i didn't like being near it at all. Going nuts and falsing around it, and the 2 lower frequencies fluttering in the rest of the yard. Is that something you can even dial out? I haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet.

Hope you're doing well Jim. Figured you were busy with stuff. I didn't forget the YTC meeting this month. Work is brutal right now with them trying to run an automated facility at 160% capacity, and I'm still over 50 hours a week. I'd really want some of you guys to look at the crusty button I found at EHS and see if it is military maybe.

I'll be back there Dan. The main wall in that pic runs for a few hundred yards or so, and has a couple intersecting walls along it (one visible). It's not far from the top of a hill either. The areas around them look fine for fields, and that's where I'll try on the return trip soon with more time to play.
    Definitely not calling it a season this early, but want to thank you again for the invites this summer. Can't ask for any better way to get hooked on the woods and detecting, and love the handful of buttons from that big farm site.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Any day swinging is a good day detecting, congrats on a nice hunt.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Bri View Post
    The yard to the main road is where the power comes in, and the V3i didn't like being near it at all. Going nuts and falsing around it, and the 2 lower frequencies fluttering in the rest of the yard. Is that something you can even dial out?
    What are the frequencies of tha machine? IDR if this was the one you can tweek it just a bit to eliminate interference with nearby detectors. I know those power lines not only carry 60Hz, but also white noise and spikes. If you can change it, try to pick something that is not a multiple of 60. Possibly lower sensitivity. My machine is older technology (but my pulse probe sometimes gives it falsing) and I was able to find something within a few feet of a dog fence. I can't change my frequency and I def got the fluttering near it, but the lower sensitivity helped when I was close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Bri View Post
    Hope you're doing well Jim. Figured you were busy with stuff. I didn't forget the YTC meeting this month. Work is brutal right now with them trying to run an automated facility at 160% capacity, and I'm still over 50 hours a week. I'd really want some of you guys to look at the crusty button I found at EHS and see if it is military maybe.
    I've been out about six times in the past three full weeks (including current week). There were some finds and I was gonna post. I guess I can do such, but not all of the finds. To the above above note, the 1840's place was on 10/1. On 10/6 was the place with dog fence. The next day there was a no at a 1756 house on Main St even tho the place was for sale so the park was the next bet. I used to go to the park when I was younger. I didn't realize how massive the tree was at the park. I only got six cents there. Too bad it wasn't a sixth sense to know where to place the coil. But that place had two mercs came from the same hole by another. I just needed a full week of recovery. Have I justified my time card, boss? lol. I'm doing better now. Not sure if you were on the forum back in May, but I think I needed two weeks then. Not asking for someone to listen about it, but our health care sucks when they only know how to treat with symptoms with drugs so the cause stays, versus using a natural aproach to target the cause. And I will personally vouch for it being a 'corporation' to only make money. I had a Dr tell me a natural thing wasn't heard of, but then turn around and contradict by saying they are looking into something that they can market. And I just sent myself a link yesterday about a place in MA paying people for samples.

Dan never made it to YTC this time either. There was a barber half in the raffle. The 'digging' game I broke even. Lol, I was about to call it knockout game cuz the board with 50 holes you knock out the paper (grass) to get coins. Paid $1 for one slot and got $1 in change. lol. It was a bit more interesting than the previous meeting about jewelry. I gotta know if I have to be early to enter stuff into finds of the month. Did you post the possible military button earlier?
    Last edited by MangoAve; 10-17-2014 at 07:15 AM.

I've had so many days like that. But I always feel good on the ride home. I figure it's still better than sitting on the couch watching TV.
    I agree with Del, the bad days make the good days that much better.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Looks like that was a pretty good day of detecting to me.

I like the sickle. I would try to clean it up and replace the handle. It might not be the sharpest tool in the shed but it would look good hanging on the wall with my old tool display.
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter