Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1787 1 Real

1787 1 Real

Yesterday after work I was detecting the far back fields of a pounded cellar hole. It was quiet as usual... but then the nails started I looked up and saw a rock lined well and was very happy The hole was very small and old. It must have been gone by 1800. Only the immediate area around the hole can be detected as it has turned into swamp. I stayed an hour yesterday and found a tombac and about four shoe buckle parts. I've never dug so many different shoe buckle parts at one place. I went back this morning for two more hours to pick up the rest of the stuff. Does the second 7 on the date of the coin look weird? Thanks, Drew
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Have to agree on the age, probably abandoned by early 1800s. Nice old finds, perhaps it is a buggered up 7 or maybe it is a 2 or possibly a 3, but you have it in hand and see it better than we can in the pics.... Don

WTG Drew, wonderful 1 reale. That sure is a lot of shoe buckle parts and love your buttons. on some great finds.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

The more I looked at your date the more I think it is 1783. I happen to have found a 1783 One Real years ago and took a closeup of the date, and even though different punches/dies were used I believe your last digit is a 3. At least you can compare my 3 with what you see on your coin.

Don
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Al! Don, thank you as well...let me take a better picture when I get a sec.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I tried to get a better pic but my phone, nor the sun will cooperate. Thanks Don, someday I'll buy a camera
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

My first instinct was 1783 as well. Either way it's an incredible find!

You got some nice colonial buttons and buckle fragments too. My cellar hole envy is acting up again!

p.s. I added it to the banner as 1783. If you decide that it's 1787 let me know and I will change it.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

WTG Drew on the finds! Gotta love Colonial Spanish Silver in the hole!

That sure looks like an old site. Bet with all of that activity there based on the all the different shoe parts there's got to be more coinage there.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

That's a beauty Drew ! Nice job sniffing out that site. One of my best all time virgin cellar hole sites was only 300 feet from a pounded cellar hole site.

It's hard to explain that nice array of buckle fragments , but it is pretty cool. on a nice hunt.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Nice little pile of finds Drew, and congrats on the silver!
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Drew great coin , if you ever go back check near the edge of the swamps I've found more than a few complete shoe buckles by them . congrats
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thank you everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Drew great coin , if you ever go back check near the edge of the swamps I've found more than a few complete shoe buckles by them . congrats
    Dan Do you think the ground was moist even back then and grabbed more buckles?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Thank you everyone!
    Dan Do you think the ground was moist even back then and grabbed more buckles?
    possibly Drew , but it seamed after they were out of style or unusable they would toss them or use them as fill when they farmed .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Looks more like a 3 to me. I found a 1782 1 real about 6 weeks ago. Nice find.
    Name:  20140828_150451 1782 real.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  57.8 KB
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

Nice array of finds and nice detail on the Reale!

Wow what a great outing! Lots of nice shoe buckle fragments and of course the reale! Makes for a great hunt Hopefully there's a complete shoe buckle waiting for you there.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Great coin ox.What settings do you use on your t2 at cellar holes?
    CTX 3030,E trac,T2 SE

Great find on the well and the One reale drew. I agree on 1783. Great score!
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Thank you folks....Tom, I only use two basic programs. The vast majority of the time I leave the disc at 10, 2+ tones, and sens is set so that the machine is silent (around here it is usually 95). Too much power (like going to 0 disc or sense at 99, or boost mode) and it doesn't ID targets as well.
    I have a program that I use when there is machine gun nails (and I'm too lazy to put on a small coil) Disc 21, tones 1+, sens silent then even back off a bit more (around 90 in these parts).
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

nice spanish silver drew!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers