Thread: Another trip to the cellar and possibly my oldest coin

Another trip to the cellar and possibly my oldest coin

This morning I went back to Massachusetts to hit the cellar I recently discovered. The temperature was a lot cooler this time and with partly cloudy conditions, weather would not be a factor. I probably was detecting for around an hour before I get a signal. Its underneath I big fallen tree limb which is probably why I missed it. Its a mid tone but bouncy and large sized so I suspected it was going to be Iron. I was supposed to pull out a Pewter spoon, broken but still a good piece of it intact. That was right near the cellar hole. I move away from the cellar sort of wandering and a good distance away but still pretty close I get a iffy high tone. Its reading 79-83 in one direction but dropping into the 60's in the other. So I dig...and dig...and dig.. until I am down about 9-10 inches and I am thinking to myself, the only thing this deep could be iron. I take my propointer and find my target and its not iron. Its a copper, very worn and pretty thin. I am pumped cause I did not expect it to be a copper. I couldn't identify it well in the field so I continued hunting. I eventually move out of the woods and hunt my grandmothers (now uncles) yard. I was just surveying the yard to see if anything was there. All of the targets were shallower than 4 inches so I was surprised to pop out several wheats. I also found an intact toy gun which for all I know, could have been my fathers or uncles back in the 60's and 70's. Anyway after the hunt I take a closer look at the copper. I think it is a 1701 King William III halfpenny. If it is that would be my new oldest coin. I have some close up pics so you can see for yourself. Either way, what an awesome hunt!!!Name:  IMG_4076.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  30.8 KBName:  IMG_4075.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  43.0 KBName:  IMG_4072.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  45.8 KBName:  IMG_4066.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  50.7 KBName:  IMG_4067.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  52.6 KBName:  IMG_4070.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  50.0 KB
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Looks like a William III to me RIdirtdigger , congrats on it being your new oldest coin

I was wondering about the spoon is it a "rat-tail" type pewter , you can tell by the look on the back of the bowl.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  57.3 KB
    Back of spoon
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

see the "ridge" extending down the bowl , almost like the stem continuing onto the bowl , these are commonly known as "rat-tail" because the somewhat resemble one . I believe these are early to mid 1700's era types .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Congrats on all the great digs today James!!!! Love the spoon and 1701 copper
    I <3 colonial relics!

Thanks for the info, del, I appreciate it

You got some oldies there!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

WTG on the KW! Get back there and hit that place hard.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Not many people can post a King William coin and huge to you for getting one. The car and spoon are cool, but that gun is great.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Them are all great finds and you found them all in one go. What an excellent way to spend a day.

Congratulations.
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Congrats on a nice hunt and a great coin find, WTG.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Two very old finds there!

How can you not love a 1701 King William copper, and a spoon that may be just as old?!

Man oh man, that's incredible!

Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Very cool. Nice to see you rescue a KWIII
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Congrats on the 1701 William III. That is also my oldest coin. Due to the few years they were minted it's pretty easy to narrow down the date even if you can only see part of it. Not a very common coin at all...well done!!
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

Thanks everyone for the comments. I hope to get back out to that cellar this weekend