Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you like to see in a new White's Detector?

Candidate Member
    Hi Guys,
    The v3i is a very good detector and i have found it is a lot tighter in setup compared to the e-trak. Using here in OZ i am really rapped at its seperation in between aluminium screw caps, shirt buttons ,brass eyelets. lead sinkers etc, with our coinage when cherry picking. I use coin and jewellery to accept our $1 and $2 coins with 3 vdi in front of the vdi of the coin 51, 52,53, $2 coin 54, $1 coin 55, 56.57.58.59,60.

I have a second Mixed Mode program which i accept discrimination on all vdi accept -95 and +95 and accept the toneal value to 54 for the $2 coin. And i use coin in 2.5 frequency non normalised for the seperation on the $1 coin. One thing which helps to id a screw cap is to swing over the coin from right to left at a faster speed than normal searching and you notice the coin the 3 bars are in a straight line where as the screw cap their will be two bars on the bottom on top of each other with the top one to the right. I feel Whites have done a great job with this detector but any more advancements in the future would be brilliant. The first manufacturer who can bring out a detector that only accepts round objects and can get rid of pull tabs to get the gold rings will make a killing.

Regards Pinpointa.
    Its Good To Get Free With The WHITES V3.

I was out doing some hunting in the woods yesterday with my V3i and a Super 300/12 inch coil. After an hour or so it occurred to me that my hand was getting fatigued and I kept repositioning my grip. While hunting in the woods I have to constantly dodge trees, brush , rocks and debris. It is not like swinging a coil over a nice clean soccer field.

It would be nice if the hand grip was a half inch longer and more ergonomicly shaped. With my big hands I have to be careful to tuck my fingers beneath the trigger.
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

Late to the game. Ideally, a PI with discrimination, tone id, a good vdi read out and waterproof to, say, 10 feet would be ideal. The technology doesn't seem to be there yet.

Things that need to happen yesterday: waterproof housings, lith-ion batteries, sef type coils, and better tone id selections - 1 or 191 don't make it for old ears. Neither do 1, 2 or 8. A 4 in that mix would really help.

Just a few thoughts from an old bum.
    Keeping my community clean...one pull tab at a time.
    White's MX3; MineLab 305; Garrett ProPointer; Killer B's; Lesche and Fiskars Tools

Never to late around here DirtyMoney. Thanks, and good suggestions! We have a lot of great ideas coming from forum members on this thread. Hopefully a White's scout will find some useful ideas for their next machine.

I still would like to get away from the 22.5 frequency on the V3/V3i. A machine that functioned much the same as the V3i, but running at 2.5/7.5/15. All the old coils would then work, and bring back a wider selection of coils to choose from. This would be ideal for coin-shooting. It would be nice to have the auto ground tracking functioning better (like the MXT), and be able to hunt in single frequency, and pinpoint in multiple frequency. A USB Port is a must to program,and upload custom programs, as opposed to having to scroll through endless menus,sub menus, etc. How about factory reset that works without destroying the calibration of the unit?
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

1. USB connectivity. Share programs, update software, etc. With dedicated website.
    2. Water resistant. Tired of having to stop detecting due to weather conditions.
    3. SEF v-rated coils.
    4. Internal cable along the shaft.
    5. Lower price on wireless headphones.
    6. Keep up the great customer service whites already has.

Just my 2 cents.

Vito, I like your thinking on the MXT however I would prefer 14khz 22khz 50khz since I nugget detect as well as coin/jewery hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    This was actually part of the original plan on the Vision, and Early V3's. They had wireless USB dongles being tested, but could not get the software written so it was reliable. Huge mistake. I don't know why they did not go with the USB option. Afraid of leakage I guess. Great ideas Rebel.
    A late reply, but for the record, the USB/wireless dongle was completed and fully working. About that time Minelab complained that the then-current V3 feature of wirelessly sharing user settings between units infringed on their patent for programming a detector. White's decided that the feature was not worth a legal battle so it was removed, and the USB dongle canceled.

Carl good to hear from you , my congrats to your new move , how you liking the new gig??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

It's a lot of fun. Got a lot more resources, and working with DJ is a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by MXT SNIPER View Post
    Vito, I like your thinking on the MXT however I would prefer 14khz 22khz 50khz since I nugget detect as well as coin/jewery hunt.
    What about 3 - 14 - 50 kHz? ...if possible.!?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    It's a lot of fun. Got a lot more resources, and working with DJ is a blast.
    Glad to hear you like your job. Good for your health, too. All The Best.

A late reply, but for the record, the USB/wireless dongle was completed and fully working. About that time Minelab complained that the then-current V3 feature of wirelessly sharing user settings between units infringed on their patent for programming a detector. White's decided that the feature was not worth a legal battle so it was removed, and the USB dongle canceled.

Good to hear from you Carl. Hope all is well with you. Thanks for the insight on this! I stand corrected. Too bad about the patent issues. That would have been a great feature, and extremely helpful with the myriad of settings. I got to use the wireless transfer feature just one time, but it worked well.
    Last edited by CyberSage; 02-24-2015 at 06:58 PM.
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

How long before the patent expires? It's already been a while.

I think around 7-8 yrs

i would like to see a waterproof MXT.
    Whites TreasurePro, Oldest US Coin 1876 Seated Dime, Oldest Foreign Coin 1700's Chinese Cash Coin
    YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/pescadoremetaldetect
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/pescadoremetaldetecting

Having a self diagnosis screen appear with a simple "No Errors Detected" or "Errors Encountered" would be a nice feature to know your tector is operating correctly.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Candidate Member
    I was thinking of a way to cut down on the EMI interference. My V3i is always getting the power line EMI.
    I have heard that a RF choke can help. Any ideas on this?

Quote Originally Posted by OregonVic View Post
    I was thinking of a way to cut down on the EMI interference. My V3i is always getting the power line EMI.
    I have heard that a RF choke can help. Any ideas on this?
    I think all detectors have this problem. But I have noticed the same with my V3I. Although it is not the V3I but the 10" DD stock coil that seems to be susceptible to EMI. I found when I switched to Detech SEF coils much of my EMI interference went away. I wouldn't try the RF choke.

Everyone is always talking V3i. I'd like to see a nice L-ion battery for my beach hunter. Also some type of waterproof in-line connector so that different coils could be used on it. They should come with a straight shaft instead of the stock "S" shaft.

L-ion batteries for ALL White's machines. An easier to remove and replace coil bolt. And internal wireless headphone technology like what is in the V3i but with lighter headphones that can be recharged with USB. But not those crappy lite phones they sell now. Mine broke after only a few uses.
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime