Thread: Dont spend all your time looking down.

Dont spend all your time looking down.

I am traveling this week and I always take my detector with me to hunt local sites. I hit pioneer park in Mesa AZ for a couple of hours today. I am always a little uncomfortable when hunting in new locations that I don't know the neighborhood because it is pretty easy to get into an area that isn't safe.
    The park seemed pretty safe, there were some Mom's and kids in the tot lot and a few other folks around. I worked my way down to an area with a large rock area where I disturbed what I think may have been a vagrant or at least someone who was on something. I didn't pay too much attention but began to work my way out of the area.
    I wear headphones when I detect so it pays to look around pretty regular. I noticed something out of the corner of eye and turned to find that this person had snuck up behind me and was about 10 feet from me. It scared the **** out of me. He made a disgusted face and started to head away and then turned back and started at me. Then he stopped and turned the other way walking off. I didn't soil myself but it was close.
    Normally I feel that if the need should arise, I could pull out my Lesche but I found today that if this man had rushed me there would be no way I could have pulled it out in time, he was just too close.
    I think that I may have to stop wearing the headphones when I am in unfamiliar areas. It may mean missing some targets but I don't want to be in that position again. Remember everyone, it is easy to get so absorbed in the hunt that you lose awareness of your environment but keep your eyes open. You never know who is watching.

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Ron , i've had both people and animal sneak up on me as well , I always just wear one earphone now because of it. sorry for your experience at Pioneer park , it used to be a great family park with a large locomotive train engine and old airforce jet for the kids to climb on. were they still there ??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Ron , i've had both people and animal sneak up on me as well , I always just wear one earphone now because of it. sorry for your experience at Pioneer park , it used to be a great family park with a large locomotive train engine and old airforce jet for the kids to climb on. were they still there ??
    Del.
    The Train is still there and it is a nice park but the ground is dry and hard as a rock. This guy was out of the norm from what I observed and I should have walked quickly away when I saw him. I usually feel that I am a little paranoid when I detect on the road but maybe not. I will definitely change my headphone setup for road trips.
    Thanks for the tips on where to hunt. I did find a bracelet that may be gold but is likely plated. I won't know for sure till I get home to the magnifiers to read the stamping. Getting old and the eyes don't work like they used to.

Ron
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronandari View Post
    Del.
    The Train is still there and it is a nice park but the ground is dry and hard as a rock. Ron
    welcome to Arizona Ron here is to hoping the bracelet is gold
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Here is a pic of the bracelet. It was in a coin spill by the basketball courts.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  58.1 KB

Man that is a little scary. I'm glad you're alright. I wear headphones too and have had people and dogs startle me in the past. Luckily none with ill intent. Be safe out there and good luck!

My headphones don't completely block out noise and my peripheral vision is fairly well. Anything that moves or catches my eyes I look up. Recently the only weird thing was a young kid in his teens asking for $ for the bus, but there's no bus in my town. wth? The last time something like what you experienced, was in Hartford. I was swinging away and someone was staring as he was walking. He did come a bit close but eventually walked off. Prob cuz I showed his presence was known. Or maybe he saw I had a pocket knife on me. And at the same place I happened to walk around a big bush with vines growing around it. Happened to walk by a little openening and there was someone inside making some noise. I don't think he would have bothered me but he was def vagrant. I think he was doing something nasty in that bush tho.

Yow, scary! Yeah, that's why I use the one-eared Rattler headphones. I'm not the only nut in the forest.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Lots of times I bring my dog along for hunts. He is Labradore & Newfoundland mix. 107 Lbs. He is a big lovable dog but most people just see the size. He sticks with me pretty tight and all I have to do is watch him for alertness. If he alerts then I need to also.

Another thing I noticed. On sunny days try to keep the sun at your back. I have more than once noticed a persons shadow approaching from my rear. Luckily they were always normal folks walking a dog or something.

Here is a picture of my BFF. I have had people tell me he looks like a black bear as he walks through the woods.

Name:  Johnny 1.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  142.7 KB
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

Quote Originally Posted by Beartoe View Post
    Lots of times I bring my dog along for hunts. He is Labradore & Newfoundland mix. 107 Lbs. He is a big lovable dog but most people just see the size. He sticks with me pretty tight and all I have to do is watch him for alertness. If he alerts then I need to also.

Another thing I noticed. On sunny days try to keep the sun at your back. I have more than once noticed a persons shadow approaching from my rear. Luckily they were always normal folks walking a dog or something.

Here is a picture of my BFF. I have had people tell me he looks like a black bear as he walks through the woods.

Name:  Johnny 1.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  142.7 KB
    He looks like a big gentle giant Beartoe. I'll bet folks would think twice about messing with you as long as he is nearby.

I had a very similar experience at a city park in Saginaw MI

I was detecting old foot trails in the woods near my home when I first started this hobby. It was around April 2011 and I thought that I was all alone. Than out of nowhere came a older man that was right next to me. He went on to tell me that there was an old baseball field near by and he remembered that years ago an old man use to detect the area and he had found all kinds of things. I could than tell that this guy was homeless, living in the woods and harmless. I than reached in my pocket and showed him my finds from that day[maybe $1.60 all clad] and he looked and said WOW there`s still money around here. I than thanked him for the info. He went on to ask me about my detector on where to get one how much it cost etc. After he left I felt sorry for him,like he needed a detector more than I did. I haven`t came across him since.

Good idea on the "Shadow". You just can't be TOO aware of what's around and that's a great tip. I've used it, more by accident, but now it will be a part of my routine.

EKW

You might wanna look into single ear phones.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=139646

This is exactly why I only wear one headphone over my ears with my AT Pro. I had too many folks sneaking up on me and couldn't hear them coming. I also had a dog run up and snatch a two EURO coin that I had just dug out of my hands! I managed to get it back from him but after that, it was only one earphone for me!
    Minelab CTX 3030
    Minelab Excalibur II
    Minelab GoFind 60
    Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
    Garrett AT ProPointer
    Garrett Recovery Tool
    Stealth 720i Sand Scoop
    Vibra-Quatic 2 Pinpointer
    Land and Sea Pinpointer
    Lesche Digging Tool
    Lesche 40" Shovel
    Lesche Piranha Shovel
    2007 Jeep JK to get me to where the treasure is!

My Youtube Channel! American Digger in Europe:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/AmericanDiggerInEurope

I carry a gun (legally)... always.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

I am with LJ. I carry a firearm often when I am out and about. Not afraid..........just prepared.