Thread: First 1600's coin and possible Rosa Americana

First 1600's coin and possible Rosa Americana

Headed to the cellar this Saturday. Decided to hunt on the other side of the trail that the cellar was on. Got a midtone signal and pulled out a broken piece to the inside of a colonial buckle. Didn't find much other than shot gun shells for a while but got a bouncy signal going from 50-80 at around 5-6 inches deep. I dig a plug and I pull out a large copper out of the sidewall. I see writing on one side of it and I notice it does not say "Georgivs". There is an M in the name which means its a King William III. But this isn't just a king William, its a William and Mary! This is a 1694 King William and Queen Mary British halfpenny the only year they were made of that composition and with Mary on the obverse. This is my oldest and first 1600's coin I've ever found. Sadly the reverse is totally toast but I am psyched. A coin 320 years old!

Today I headed to the cellar early on so I could get back in time for the Patriots game at one. Didn't really find much until I get a 60's signal next to a medium size tree with some iron tones as well. I dig about 4-5 inches down and to my surprise I pull out a copper. Its smaller though, closer in size to the Woods Hibernia I dug almost two weeks ago. The thing is toast, no detail what so ever on it. I continued hunting and may have possibly gotten a small pewter button. I'm not sure but I have photos for you to decide. I didn't really get much else. After I got home I determined my copper was too small to be a Hibernia but was exactly the size of a 1722 Rosa Hibernia Penny. According to the red book, the coins were made of both copper and Zinc which could explain the slightly lower signal compared to my other coppers. If it is a Rosa Americana, I would be super happy cause I know those are pretty uncommon to find. But even if its not, its still a really old copper. Overall I had a pretty great weekend and I have a feeling this cellar still has a couple more goodies waiting to be uncovered. Name:  IMG_4080.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  25.6 KBName:  IMG_4079.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  32.3 KBName:  IMG_4092.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  46.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

what would be the best way to clean these coppers too without the patina falling off?
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Nice old find. Congrats on your oldest, WTG.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

WTG on the LC's! Tough to say that's it's a Rosa. Best way to clean in dry brush & a rinse of water, pat dry & then coat with some Ren Wax.

Definitely a pewter button. Just coat it with some hair spay.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

That cellar hole has been very nice to you. on getting your oldest coin to date.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Congrats on the two very old coins... Can't wait to see them cleaned up!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Nice digs! Hard to say on the Rosa. I can what may be the outline of the Tudor Rose, but the surface doesn't seem to have that typical Rosa corrosion. But it could very well be a Rosa.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I would love to see beter pictures of the suspected Rosa coin .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I hope you find a way to clean up the coin. I would like to see the finished product.
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

Update

Well, I tried cleaning the copper up but still couldn't get an ID. I don't know which side is the obverse or reverse so I can't make a guess based on that. All I know is that its old. Sorry guys

Name:  IMG_4097.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  54.2 KBName:  IMG_4096.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  61.0 KB

I'm not an expert but I think your best bet is soaking it in hot hydrogen peroxide... first get a small bowl, fill it with 3 % hydrogen peroxide and stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds,m then take it out and put the copper in for a few minutes then take it out and if you see anything let us know. Hot peroxide won't damage the coin but will dissolve the dirt that isn't coming off... It sucks that the coppers get this way over time... that copper could be a very old one though because of how worn it is...
    I <3 colonial relics!