Thread: The Fields Keep Giving!

The Fields Keep Giving!

Thursday here in our part of Ohio started out as an overcast day but soon the sun broke through and it turned into a delightful day. We went back to a field where we have been having good success and then went to a newly cut and plowed field. The first field was the most productive. My first good find was an Infantry Eagle Button which is in very nice shape. There was no back mark.

I then found a couple of Flat Cuff Buttons and some interesting other stuff. Then a 12-43 signal that was a bit choppy turned out to be a Matron Head Large Cent. There was some nails in the hole with it. I don’t think it will be possible to get a date off of it. Notice how deeply struck the Liberty is on her head band a very well struck coin, and the reverse is rotated too.

My next good signal was a bit of a surprise, a 12-23 to 12-25 turned out to be a nice 1863 Fatty Indian. The surprise is because it was a scratchy type signal until I pulled out a large nail from the hole and then it got much sweeter!

Diane had found a 1911 Wheat back cent early on to match the one I found a couple days before in the same field. She then kept her Large Cent streak up with a nicely detailed but corroded 1852 Braided Hair Large Cent.

We both found flat buttons and I found a buckle and other interesting things. Including a bent Pin. The copper ring was from the second field.

My last good find was from the second field when I dug it I saw it was bent in half when I got home I was able to carefully straighten it out. The results is a token Good For 5 Cents Drinks at Bar and the initials W. D at the bottom, the reverse has a large 5 in a fancy design and in small print something near the upper left of the 5 running on an angle. Have not been able to identify where this is for.

The last item here is some kind of hanger that Diane found in the first field, if anyone has any ideas of what it can be please let me know.

Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Wonderful finds once again, Tony!

You got a little bit of everything: Old coins, buttons, buckles, jewelry and a token. Of course I am envious of the fatty since I have never found one.

The hanger item is intriguing. I hope you are able to find out more about it.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Veteran Member
    Very nice array of finds.

WTG on getting something of everything. Diane's LC streak is still going which is great. We don't get to many tokens out this way and I really like seeing them posted. That hanger???? I'm leaning towards military.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

That is a knapsack hook. Crude ones made of iron were usually confederate. Great finds!

Quote Originally Posted by Dentron20 View Post
    That is a knapsack hook. Crude ones made of iron were usually confederate. Great finds!
    Thanks I did a search on them and I found some pictured exactly like it. Her's is made of brass I believe.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Your killing me with all those Large Cents. All my son talks about is going to Ohio to metal Detect.
    He is dying to find a LC.
    Congrats on all of your finds, Especial the Fatty
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

You guys are killing 'em in those fields Tony.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

It looks like you don't have to fight many roots and rocks
    Keep taking!!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Nice bunch of finds. Sure would like to find me a fatty someday.
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

The crops may be out, but I'd say the "Bell 2 Crew" is the ones making the harvest!
    Nice finds guys!
    Congrats!!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

WTG Tony on some awesome finds! Love the I Button!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album