Thread: Scratched off the list - Find a wedding ring (in a hurricane) 11/2

Scratched off the list - Find a wedding ring (in a hurricane) 11/2

So, got a PM from a guy last week on a fishing site I've been on for a dozen years. Lost his wedding ring while clearing leaves out of the yard a couple weeks ago. He must have saw my report on detecting in our Outdoors forum from earlier in the summer, and got hold of me.

Headed over this morning in low 40's temps and gale force winds. He's pretty sure it came off in the backyard, and it's a tungsten ring. Bundled up and headed out back with him. The yard wasn't too big, nor was the ring in it. So, we moved deep in the back yard where it meets the woods (and the leaves wind up). Didn't take long at all after that. Found it under a dumped pile of leaves, almost on the ground. Woohoo! Rang up an 80 VDI.

Told him in advance no pay required, but wound up with about 5lbs of venison stew meat and steaks. Anyone near me wants a couple lbs of steaks, let me know.
    And the hunting club he's a member of has some sort of foundation holes on the property. He thinks they may have been hit, but I'll be able to hit the property legally this spring.

Name:  Ring1.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  96.9 KB
    Name:  Ring2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  60.3 KB
    Name:  Ring3.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  63.5 KB

Once I got home and put the venison freezer, realized I didn't want to be cooped up in the house a 2'nd day. It really wasn't that bad out. So headed to one of the local parks and fiddled around in the soccer fields for a couple hours. Bunch of clad, and a few VDI curiosities. The item on the bottom left looks to be the bottom of a police badge maybe? Just under 2" wide. Have to look it up later.

Name:  SoccerCrap.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  124.2 KB
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Nice recovery on the Ring.
    The piece on the bottom right would go directly underneath the wearers name plate, the name plate pins would go through two of the 8 holes.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Had all the confidence in the world that you would find that ring. Great job.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Thanks Don. Had a feeling you'd know.
    And thanks Al. It's nice to be able to parade something besides crunk by you guys once in a while.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Nice recovery on the Ring.
    The piece on the bottom right would go directly underneath the wearers name plate, the name plate pins would go through two of the 8 holes.
    I concur with Don. Except that it's on the bottom left I've worn those many many times.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Great job finding the ring. Good luck in the spring on the foundation holes.
    Detector: White's MXT
    Oldest Coin Found: 1906 Indian Head Penny
    Best Coin Found: 1909-S Lincoln Wheat Penny
    Found First Silver Coin At 9yrs Old: 1907 Barber Dime

Congrats Bri. Once you mentioned about tungsten immediately I was wondering how it would ring up. I do own a tungsten ring but I never tried to see what it comes up as just to know. Venison is good altho I have never cooked with it myself. Congrats you finally got the permission to the holes on the club. I do remember you saying something about it earlier this summer.

dont forget ya mates when you hunt those cellar holes........hint hint.....lol.
    well done on finding the ring mukka.

WTG on the recovery, steaks & new permission! Trifecta of goodness!
    Last edited by The Rebel; 11-03-2014 at 10:01 AM.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Congrats on finding the ring great job Bri
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Venison is tasty Jim. Very lean. In a stew you wouldn't know the difference. The steaks I keep will get cut into medallions, wrapped in bacon, and seared in a hot pan with a bit of minced onion or garlic maybe. One of my favorite finger snacks from ice fishing. And it's a different club. The one my friends are a part of has walls & fields, but no history over 100 years from the research I did.

Thanks again all. Nice way to fill in my 1'st season, even if it isn't a big ol' copper.
    Like most F&G clubs, you're either a member or not. This will just be another one I have access to by accompanying another member. We'll see what comes of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Bri View Post
    Venison is tasty Jim. Very lean. In a stew you wouldn't know the difference. The steaks I keep will get cut into medallions, wrapped in bacon, and seared in a hot pan with a bit of minced onion or garlic maybe. One of my favorite finger snacks from ice fishing. And it's a different club. The one my friends are a part of has walls & fields, but no history over 100 years from the research I did.
    Dinner at Brians house!!!! I've had venison before. Once a restaurant had venison burgers and my cousin's husband is a hunter so there was a venison stew at a graduation party there. I just specifically haven't gotten any to cook. Guessing either you shoot it, know a hunter, or order it from Cabela's. Oh, and I didn't realize it was a different club. Hope you get some good finds there. Hope the fact it's limited access works out.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Dinner at Brians house!!!! I've had venison before. Once a restaurant had venison burgers and my cousin's husband is a hunter so there was a venison stew at a graduation party there. I just specifically haven't gotten any to cook. Guessing either you shoot it, know a hunter, or order it from Cabela's. Oh, and I didn't realize it was a different club. Hope you get some good finds there. Hope the fact it's limited access works out.
    and whats wrong with your local butcher...hmmmmm ? namely ....MEEEEE i have venison loins in stock as we speak.

huge congratulations on the ring recovery and return Brian
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Good dig on the ring. Congratulations!
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    and whats wrong with your local butcher...hmmmmm ? namely ....MEEEEE i have venison loins in stock as we speak.
    I didn't forget about you Lee. I knew at most stores there may be a few oddities but wasn't aware there at your store. And the oddities I mean as innards to the standard meats. Esp being a health food store and more vegan shoppers there I am even more surprised there would be venison.

Good going on the ring find. It is nice to do a favor for one in need. I was offered a reward for my two ring finds, but the reward is the "Wow, you found it!". BTW, venison makes the best sausage!!! Yum!
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Nice one with the ring recovery, WTG.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber