Thread: Water Hunting

Water Hunting

I was wanting to start hunting shallow creeks and lake beaches in my area, I was wondering if the search coil on my White's MXT is submersible in water?
    Detector: White's MXT
    Oldest Coin Found: 1906 Indian Head Penny
    Best Coin Found: 1909-S Lincoln Wheat Penny
    Found First Silver Coin At 9yrs Old: 1907 Barber Dime

I have always been told that the White's coils are water proof. I have had each of my coils submersed in water at one time or another with no problems.

Having said that, be aware that the electronics in the control box and display panel are NOT WATER PROOF.

Do not drop the detector in the water.

Good luck
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

Quote Originally Posted by Beartoe View Post
    I have always been told that the White's coils are water proof. I have had each of my coils submersed in water at one time or another with no problems.

Having said that, be aware that the electronics in the control box and display panel are NOT WATER PROOF.

Do not drop the detector in the water.

Good luck
    Ok, thanks for the reply.
    Detector: White's MXT
    Oldest Coin Found: 1906 Indian Head Penny
    Best Coin Found: 1909-S Lincoln Wheat Penny
    Found First Silver Coin At 9yrs Old: 1907 Barber Dime

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar
    Most coils these days are good to go in shallow water. Risks involved if you are splashed, fall or a rogue wave hits you. Spend the bucks on an aquatic model....swishing is a whole new world!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

ahh... another thing to tink about is, please do NOT raise the coil over control box level after submerged because the water inside the lower shaft (tube) will rinse the electronics.
    Normally the gap between electronic box and pod, where the wiring goes through, is sealed with some type of silicone. But better be careful than frying the MXT.

White's coils are submersible and after using them in salt water I give them a good freshwater rinse.

Name:  MXT-board klein pixelig.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  79.5 KB
    Last edited by Vito; 11-04-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: adding picture