Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *CUT SPANISH SILVER, first shield nickel, and OLD GOLD*

*CUT SPANISH SILVER, first shield nickel, and OLD GOLD*

Well yesterday was a day that I had dreamt of for a while. I was really starting to contemplate whether I was going to pull an 1800s silver by the end of the year... well... Screw 1800s silver!!!

My dad picked me up right from school, it was a beautiful day, we both wanted to hit the 1824 house again that's about a half hour drive... it was well worth it. While in the car I told him I'm going to dig old silver coinage today...

I got to the house site and the WHOLE day I worked slowly on picking out iffy signals with the 5x8 small DD coil out from iron... in a 30x20 foot area on the left side of the front of the house... it paid off pretty nicely.

This is the area I hit today.

The first signal I got I started gridding horizontally from the front of the house down to the road. My first signal was a very faint high tone... this turned out to be a nice Bucky ball. In the next strip of land to grid is where the coins came out. I first get a choppy signal with a little squeak mixed in. First I pull a plug out and dig two nails... couldn't find the alleged high tone so I assumed it was junk. I closed the plug up and got the higher tone separated again and found a green penny sized coin. This was a 1911 wheat cent. I keep heading down that little grid and bam a solid but faint coin hit. Turned out to be another green disk which this time was an Indian head, an 1865 to boot... bent, but I still love it! Then I get a blip of a signal... high tone blip 64-80 VDI I do a live dig on this one, there was not much iron next to this signal. I open the hole up and don't get a single hit with the Pro pointer. Assuming it was complete junk I turn the camera off and then was about to close the hole up when I see silver... the worlds smallest pizza slice!

I knew immediately what I had and my heart I think missed a beat... it was a freakin piece of eight!!! An eighth of a two reales - would've been 3.125 cents!!! Man that was an amazing feeling!!! I texted my dad a pic and told him to come ASAP! I wish he was there with me, he was getting gas quick...

After that I go onto my third pass picking up another wheat penny and I get a mid tone and it turns out to be 20 shards of aluminum can in one hole all separated so I had to pinpoint each one then after I get all the aluminum trash out I get a high tone 76 signal and it turns out to be this gorgeous flat button. Gold guilt was preserved well.

I get another signal and that turns out to be a musketball ... I can't believe I missed all this the first time I came here. The next diggable signal was the crappiest most iffy signal ringing up from iron in one direction and 60s in the other... I pull out a few nails from that hole and when I think I'm pulling out another nail I see a green disk roll past and see the shield. I thought I had another two cent piece at this point but then thought it could've been a shield nickel, my first ... well it rang up a solid nickel on my machine... so yes!!! my first shield nickel. Too bad it's super worn but I can finally cross that off my list

As I get closer to the road the signals start to deplete. I got a nice mid tone signal very faint once again... turned out to be this little two piece cuff button! I thought it was an eagle at first but it's a star.

It's starting to get dark now but I get one last signal right next to the road... another iffy one of course but it's not iron for a fact. I dug down in the hole and pulled out, you guessed it, a nail :/ but then I hear a solid mid tone after I pull that nail out... it was pretty shallow at 2" but when I saw it I knew immediately I had GOLD!!!! Wooooooo!!! Finally!!! It's definitely old gold too! It's a very fancy pocket watch winder! I don't know. But man this day was awesome!!! I'm still shaking

Any ideas on what age this piece if?

Upon James (RIDirtDigger) helping me with the dating, he concluded this was a Phillip V (first reign) from 1700-1724!!!!! Makes my new oldest coin by over 100 years!!! This coin very well could be over 300 years old!!! My first colonial silver ever!!!!!!!! So stoked right now!!!!!!!

Thanks for reading everyone. Good luck and Happy hunting!!!
    I <3 colonial relics!

OMG!!!!!! AMAZING
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Isaac, you're killing it. Love that gold watch winder(?) and the cut silver. Still looking for my 1st shield, congrats on yours. Overall a fantastic hunt...
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

SWEETNESS!! I've yet to find a cut anything. Keep it up!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Sweet cut silver Isaac I agree its from a Philip V pistareen but why would someone cut a 2 real up in eighths is beyond me . one eighth of 25 cents (3.125 cents) is an odd denomination to have in the first place and then to have 7 more in your pocket. are you sure the coin wasn't a 4 real because cutting it into eighths brings the small cut piece as 6 1/4 cents and exactly a half real again.

Great pocket watch winder by the way.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Wow Isaac, if I didn't know you were hunting a standing house, I would have guessed you were at a cellar hole. Love the watch winder, its a looker
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Man oh man oh man, you took names and kicked butt on this hunt. Nice cut silver and the watch winder is just gorgeous! A lot of great finds there!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Isaac, you're killing it. Love that gold watch winder(?) and the cut silver. Still looking for my 1st shield, congrats on yours. Overall a fantastic hunt...
    Thanks Al!!! HH

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    SWEETNESS!! I've yet to find a cut anything. Keep it up!
    Thanks Drew! Hope you find one soon... this was unbelievably crazy!!! I wasn't expecting a coin 100 years older than the house
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    Sweet cut silver Isaac I agree its from a Philip V pistareen but why would someone cut a 2 real up in eighths is beyond me . one eighth of 25 cents (3.125 cents) is an odd denomination to have in the first place and then to have 7 more in your pocket. are you sure the coin wasn't a 4 real because cutting it into eighths brings the small cut piece as 6 1/4 cents and exactly a half real again.

Great pocket watch winder by the way.
    Yeah I thought that was really odd too... I mean 3 and 1/8th of a cent?!?!? I'd imagine 1/8 of a cent wouldn't have been worth a whole lot back then. Thanks Dan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy View Post
    Wow Isaac, if I didn't know you were hunting a standing house, I would have guessed you were at a cellar hole. Love the watch winder, its a looker
    Thanks Todd! I am amazed at what this house site is giving up. This is this first house I've hunted in this city and I think I'm gonna stick around here for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    Man oh man oh man, you took names and kicked butt on this hunt. Nice cut silver and the watch winder is just gorgeous! A lot of great finds there!
    Thanks Tony... still in shock and still the excitement hasn't worn off yet
    I <3 colonial relics!

It gos to show, great things can come in tiny packages!
    And you had some great tiny packages show up on this hunt!!
    Next to a gold coin, Spanish silver is at the top of my wish list! Sweet little find!!
    And the gold watch winder is just mind blowing! What a great, unique find!
    Outstanding hunt!
    Congrats!
    You know you had a great hunt when a shield nickle, and your first one at that, is your 3rd or 4th best find of the day. ..
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Every image I find online points to 2 reales as well. Specific that "J" near the "HIL" from Philip. Not sure if the "R" in "REX" is discernable to type, but at least it is behind the Philip for the 2 reales. Nice old silver. Can't see what the rest of the button say's besides double gilt.A few nice buttons. The sheild is a bit toasty as much of them are, but still looking myself for one. That large musket ball..was it supposed to be for a cannon? Lol. Something I can see Schwarzenegger use in colonial times as a pistol. The watch winder is great. Now you gotta go back and find the watch.

beautiful watch winder & huge congrats on the pistareen.here's a neat read up on pistareens

http://numismatics.org/wikiuploads/CNL/Pistareens.pdf

I dug a whole 2 reale pistareen and it blew my mind so,I know the feeling.

page 2177 kinda jumps out
    Last edited by HEAVYMETALNUT; 11-13-2014 at 08:07 AM.
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    Page 2181 sticks out too. It shows the 1721 cut into 8ths. But they did the sharp-shins in 1802-1803. I'm learning something.

Awesome! Great hunt Isaac!

Congrats on the Spanish Silver!
    Whites MXT All Pro
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1721 Spanish 2 Reales
    Oldest Coin: 1699 King William III Halfpenny

WTG Isaac!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    It gos to show, great things can come in tiny packages!
    And you had some great tiny packages show up on this hunt!!
    Next to a gold coin, Spanish silver is at the top of my wish list! Sweet little find!!
    And the gold watch winder is just mind blowing! What a great, unique find!
    Outstanding hunt!
    Congrats!
    You know you had a great hunt when a shield nickle, and your first one at that, is your 3rd or 4th best find of the day. ..
    Oh yeah I barely mentioned the shield nickel Thanks a lot Tim!!! HH and hope you find some Spanish silver soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    Every image I find online points to 2 reales as well. Specific that "J" near the "HIL" from Philip. Not sure if the "R" in "REX" is discernable to type, but at least it is behind the Philip for the 2 reales. Nice old silver. Can't see what the rest of the button say's besides double gilt.A few nice buttons. The sheild is a bit toasty as much of them are, but still looking myself for one. That large musket ball..was it supposed to be for a cannon? Lol. Something I can see Schwarzenegger use in colonial times as a pistol. The watch winder is great. Now you gotta go back and find the watch.
    Thanks for all the help on the reale. It turned out to be a 1700-1724 (first reign) Philip V and it's a .58 cal not too big but large compared to the other coins. Thanks a bunch! HH

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    beautiful watch winder & huge congrats on the pistareen.here's a neat read up on pistareens

http://numismatics.org/wikiuploads/CNL/Pistareens.pdf

I dug a whole 2 reale pistareen and it blew my mind so,I know the feeling.

Thanks for the great link Dave! I bet that was just sick finding a whole one!
    I <3 colonial relics!

WOW what a hunt.....Spanish Silver is a dream for me Huge and a Shield Nickle is an awesome find man what a great hunt
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by Nesdore View Post
    WOW what a hunt.....Spanish Silver is a dream for me Huge and a Shield Nickle is an awesome find man what a great hunt
    Thanks man!!! Hope you get one someday!

Video will be (HOPEFULLY SINCE THE DAMN PROGRAM GETS STUCK SAVING THE MOVIE AT 99% ) uploaded today! Took a few hours to make
    I <3 colonial relics!

That was a dream hunt for sure, Isaac!

Several nice finds but two that really stand out! The 1700-1724 Spanish Silver and the GOLD watch winder!

The cut silver piece still has nice detail on it. What an incredible piece of history!

And that gold watch winder would be the absolute best find in most people's collections! SPECTACULAR FIND!

Huge congrats on your mind-blowing day!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post
    That was a dream hunt for sure, Isaac!

Several nice finds but two that really stand out! The 1700-1724 Spanish Silver and the GOLD watch winder!

The cut silver piece still has nice detail on it. What an incredible piece of history!

And that gold watch winder would be the absolute best find in most people's collections! SPECTACULAR FIND!

Huge congrats on your mind-blowing day!
    Thanks for the kind words Tony! Appreciate it

GL and HH
    By the way... I am finally able to upload the dang video... here's the link http://youtu.be/JdHIgWTl_Ws enjoy It'll be up tonight
    I <3 colonial relics!

Very nice finds,
    Detector: White's MXT
    Oldest Coin Found: 1906 Indian Head Penny
    Best Coin Found: 1909-S Lincoln Wheat Penny
    Found First Silver Coin At 9yrs Old: 1907 Barber Dime