Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two Old Coin Spills in One Hunt!

Thanks for the comments, everyone. It is a site that I'm sure I will be revisiting many times.

I don't know if I will be able to detect any more this year or not since winter seems to have arrived early. If not, this site will still be there come spring.

As I was logging my finds today I realized that I have now found exactly 500 silver coins with my E-Trac. This was my 4th year with it, I bought it in February of 2011. To say that I am impressed with this machine's performance is a serious understatement. To think that I hadn't found a single Seated Liberty coin before I got this machine, and now I have found 17 of them. I never would have believed it could be possible. I love this hobby!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Absolutely incredible. I can't wait to find a place like a park or grove that hasn't been heavily detected before. I bet you were just on a supernatural high. Way to go!!!
    • Minelab E-Trac , Sunray Gold Pro Headphones, Lesche Digging Tool and Sampson Digger, Garret Pro Pointer and Deteknix X-Pointer
    • Oldest Copper: 1817 Large Cent (x2)
    • Oldest Silver: 1876-CC Seated Quarter
    • Favorite Finds: 1876-CC Seated Quarter and Seated Dime Love Token (no date)
    • Silver Coin Finds For The Year: 139

WOW WOW WOW Tony what a day you had absolutely incredible definitely a great way to end the year
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

I'm getting gloves and mask and other stuff to go out until the ground freezes. Besides, it will be better to have new gloves (mine are 2 years old) for doing things like bringing in wood and shoveling when it does snow. Not throwing in the towel yet. But with your count I think you can call it quits for the year.

You are a brave, but prosperous soul. It certainly paid to brave the cold for all that silver and the beautiful tokens. Congratulations!!!
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00

Well when you sent me that text saying you had a "awesome day"..... I should've known.
    You were right. Wow! What a day!!
    Congrats Tony!

You say the SLQ, V spill came in like a quarter. Did you happen to see which coin was on top or closest to the surface? When this happens I often assume which ever coin is closest to the coil is the signal type the detector will give. At least thats how it seems from my experiences.
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Well what can one to say to such a day except.....ah incredible, fantastic, awesome, inspiring, mind boggling, wonderful.....just take your pick!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger View Post
    You say the SLQ, V spill came in like a quarter. Did you happen to see which coin was on top or closest to the surface? When this happens I often assume which ever coin is closest to the coil is the signal type the detector will give. At least thats how it seems from my experiences.

I couldn't tell which coin was on top. They were both laying loose in my dirt pile, so I don't know how they were situated in the ground.
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 11-20-2014 at 11:08 AM.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Tim, I know you are inquiring about this particular find, but I will agree with you on what you have experienced compared to what I have. Even a free air check whatever coin was on top is usually is what the machine reads. Since they are close, tho, it also reads just a tad higher than usual as the total target edges are slightly larger than what the machine expects. This is only speculation based upon my experience.

another killer hunt !

Wow, what a pile of cash. If I had your skill/luck, I would be one proud puppy. Congrats Tony. You constantly amaze me.
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00

Great finds Tony! You never cease to amaze me on your finds. DaddyDigger brought up a good point though. We're so used to using the same type/denomination of coins in contemporary times we live in we don't realize that back then the coin varieties were changing more often. Think about it, the Lincoln Cent - been around for what, 105 years, Jeff nickel - 76 years, Roosevelt Dime - 68 years, etc. If you dropped a spill in 1925, you probably had both Mercs and Barbers still in your pocket. A spill in 1916 may even have had a few worn seated dimes. I think folks still honored all of those up to a point.

-John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

That is one heck of a hunt Tony !!
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

That's one heck of a hunt. A lot of silver no matter how you look at it and both a SLQ and a Walker. This would make anyone's day!
    Best Finds for 2015

1871 British Gold half sovereign
    1786 New Jersey copper

1786 Vermont Landscape
    2 - 1787 Connecticut coppers
    4 King George II halfpence
    2 King George II Farthings
    3 Large cents
    5 - 1864 2 Cent Pieces
    1857 Seated Dime
    4 Barber Dimes
    Standing Liberty Quarter
    21 Addt'l Silver Dimes
    8 War Nickels
    31 Indians
    5 Shield nickels & 8 V nickels
    Victorian Silver Match Case c.1880
    29 Gram 14k gold bracelet

Yay Tony!!!!! Awesome day for you! Thanks Dave for the insight on the coins. A friend dug an 18 coin spill once, we were shocked that the signals were so choppy and weak... Since then I've been less picky about waiting for the good strong signals. You never know... no matter how smart we think our detectors are.
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Wow , that is one awesome hunt !! You are a master of that E-trac . You're numbers on silver with it have been incredible . What was your last detector previous to the E-trac ?

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    WTG Tony, congrats on two very nice spills.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber