Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Old Coin Spills in One Hunt!

Two Old Coin Spills in One Hunt!

I hunted at three different sites today, but it was the third one that really paid off. The first site was a grade school and I only found some clad and 1 Rosie there. The second site was a high school and I found 1 Merc and a few wheaties there.

I headed to the third site at about 2:00 p.m. It is a park between the main street and railroad tracks in a very small town. I had never hunted there before so I wasn't sure what to expect. This site ended up being a real honey hole! I only quit because it got dark but I got TEN silver coins there in 3 hours.

This was the first coin spill I got at this site, a dateless SLQ and a 1906 V Nickel stuck together!
    Name:  Spill-One-Obv_zps5dfc934d.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  97.0 KBName:  Spill-One-Rev_zps97f12385.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  111.5 KB

This was the second coin spill, a 1940 Walking Liberty Half and 4 silver Washington Quarters!
    Name:  Spill-Two-Obv_zps7fbda35e.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  107.5 KBName:  Spill-Two-Rev_zpsc3dd9a9d.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  126.8 KB

Here are all of my coin finds for today:
    Name:  Pile-1115_zpsa4139aa7.jpg
Size:  131.1 KB

Twelve silver coins total today:
    Name:  Silvers-Obv_zps3af3754c.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  138.3 KBName:  Silvers-Rev_zpsb1beadc0.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  139.7 KB

1907 Indian Head and the 1906 V Nickel:
    Name:  Indian-V-Obv_zpsec0223c1.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  111.6 KBName:  Indian-V-Rev_zpsf3eb6cad.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  124.3 KB

All of these trade tokens came from the park too:
    Name:  Tokens-Rev_zpsd5927627.jpg
Size:  117.6 KBName:  Tokens-Obv_zps96b659e4.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  117.6 KB

Wow, what a fun day!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 02-06-2018 at 03:34 PM.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Dang Tony, You killed it today. on top of all that silver, you got an Indian, nickel and some pretty cool tokens.
    I'm glad she talked you into detecting today. What a pay off!!!!!!
    Good Luck Tomorrow. I assume your going back.
    Last edited by Digger Don; 11-15-2014 at 09:38 PM.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Tony... that is a killer day my friend, the half/4 washington quarters is one hell of a spill man... way to go!!!!! Love the piled up coins pics...great hunt.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Tony, now that's the way to do it. Not one but two spills . Great pile of keepers and as I have stated before I love to see those tokens posted. Seeing that you and Daddydigger sometimes hunt together I am assuming that you two must be in competition for the most silvers and another assumption would be that you are leading now....Fantastic hunting and I hope that you get back there before old man winter shows his ugly head.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Congrats Tony! I am so glad you found another one of those virgin small-town parks. Those are two GREAT spills (in so many ways). It's interesting that the V nickel was still in circulation to be found with a worn-out SLQ. Was this your biggest silver day based on face value? I'm interested in hearing how they rang up! Again, congrats on a killer hunt. Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Congrats Tony! I am so glad you found another one of those virgin small-town parks. Those are two GREAT spills (in so many ways). It's interesting that the V nickel was still in circulation to be found with a worn-out SLQ. Was this your biggest silver day based on face value? I'm interested in hearing how they rang up! Again, congrats on a killer hunt. Dave.

Definitely my biggest silver day face value-wise. $2.35

Also the most silver coins in one spill for me, and probably the most face value in one spill.

Both of the spills rang up like silver quarters. Both were very strong/clear signals. The SLQ and V nickel together were about 7" deep. The E-Trac seemed to hone in on the SLQ and ignore the nickel.

The Walker/Washington spill was only about 4" deep and before I dug I thought it might only be a clad quarter. Boy was I wrong!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Wow Tony. You aren't leaving any silver in the ground. Crazy when the Washington's don't turn up that often. I wonder why the spills were so green. The few pennies you found weren't green. And another walker for you. I didn't realize this was started yesterday cuz here we had a tiny bit of snow. Today I went out to get some thermals to get out for the end of the winter before the ground freezes. I had the shoes I been using all summer, not the winter boots, and I was walking around the back of a school and I was feeling the ground being hard. However, the few times I dug before it was dark, the ground was still soft so idk what I was walking on earlier. The shoe soles are thinner so you can tell more what you walk on. And..besides being dark, my hands were freezing. I am thinking to get some gloves. Unfortunately I have to order them. Cabela's, Walmart, Dick's, HD, all carry the specific brand, but none have in stock the small size. Some stores had large. I do have some gloves but they aren't designed for cold.

looks like a good reward for braving the cold shows you are a diehard hunter for sure great finds on all the silver i like the 2 and a half cent token never seen one like it before congrats on yet another great hunt

Wow!!!!!!!!! you kicked some serious tail on that excursion there Tony

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    I wonder why the spills were so green.
    That's a really good question. Any time two metal objects are close to each other in the ground a very weak electrical current flows between them. The silver coins are 10% copper and as the copper electrons flow back and forth between the two coins, tiny bits of copper are deposited on the their surfaces. And of course, over time, the copper tarnishes and turns green. I believe the actual term is galvanic corrosion. HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Amazing haul, Tony. Wow.
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MrDigger

Minelab Equinox 800, SE Pro
    Oldest coin: 1693 W&M halfpenny
    Oldest silver: 1751 Ferdinand VI Pistareen1 Real
    Oldest US coin: 1787 Mass State Copper
    Oldest US silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime
    Favorite Find: 1806 Carolus IIII 8 Reales

You certainly took the checkered flag on that race Tony. Way to go !

I was wondering why the coins were green myself but Daddydigger answered that question. AWESOME HUNT, those silver spills are awesome, someone must have been angry with themselves for losing a walker and 4 quarters!
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Those are awesome spills, and a great silver count for the day Tony! Can't imagine you see an SLQ and a V nickel stuck together very often.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Coins are nice, but I really like the tokens too.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

WTG on all of that silver Tony! You had an AWESOME day!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

WOW!

Can not imagine how winded I would be after having to do that many Happy Dances all in one day.
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Any time two metal objects are close to each other in the ground a very weak electrical current flows between them. And of course, over time, the copper tarnishes and turns green.
    Guess the IHs weren't close to any coin then, just the silvers in the spill.

Nice finds Tony Congrats! It won't be much longer and the ground will be hard as a rock.

Veteran Member
    Daddy Digger really nailed the corrosion aspect of those coins. I am an Engineer and I see that happen all the time when copper pipes are suspended by a metal not of the same type. The interaction causes the copper to leak over a short period of time. Nice hunt Tony and as Don said im sure you'll be going back to that spot.