Thread: White's TRX question

Candidate Member

White's TRX question

Today I got a TRX from a fellow who bought it to replace his Garrett that died and decided he did not like it. I had already researched the TRX and decided it was the replacement for the F Pointer I got with my detector (free and worth every penny).

Here is my situation: When I turn it on the sensitivity is very high. It will detect a small key from over 5 inches. I finally figured out how to "ratchet" it down when it is indicating a target. I also found I can do it successive times to reduce the sensitivity.

Here is my question: Is there any way to turn down the sensitivity so it stays down, as I have to do a multiple "ratchet" every time I use it?
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky

At first I thought that I would have to turn mine down as well but now I prefer the factory setting however there's a lot of youtube vids out there giving directions of how to set the sensitivity. Here's one that I used right after I bought my TRX.

Candidate Member
    Thanks ! I can't believe they did not include this in the manual.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Clint in KY View Post
    Thanks ! I can't believe they did not include this in the manual.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly! Who knows maybe they figured someone would mess it up somehow???? Just don't make any sense to me.

Jack (Cybersage) has some great tips in this thread:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...npointer/page3
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

I left my sensitivity alone, and just use the ratchet feature. That extra depth is nice to have sometimes. Don't forget to ground cancel before you pinpoint.
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Three different times I've had to pull the batteries on mine because of moisture, I've never dunked in water before, just laid it on the grass or dirt but the moisture does get in them. I'm thinking I'm going to have to devise some kind of a holster that I don't have to have on my belt, when the weather is warmer I've been zipping it up in a pocket but now it's carhart weather and it will fall out of the pockets but until I figure something out I'm keeping it in my jeans pocket for now.

Candidate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage View Post
    I left my sensitivity alone, and just use the ratchet feature. That extra depth is nice to have sometimes. Don't forget to ground cancel before you pinpoint.
    After some testing I have set my sensitivity back to the factory default of #3. Air tests, while useful do not tell the whole story, I have come to find out. I will see how it behaves while actually using it before I decide where to set it.

Quote Originally Posted by giant056 View Post
    Three different times I've had to pull the batteries on mine because of moisture, I've never dunked in water before, just laid it on the grass or dirt but the moisture does get in them. I'm thinking I'm going to have to devise some kind of a holster that I don't have to have on my belt, when the weather is warmer I've been zipping it up in a pocket but now it's carhart weather and it will fall out of the pockets but until I figure something out I'm keeping it in my jeans pocket for now.
    I am considering one of the following covers available on EBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COVER-FOR-WHITES-TRX-PIN-POINTER-METAL-DETECTING-WHITES-METAL-DETECTOR-
    /331361562526?pt=US_Metal_Detector_Accessories&hash =item4d26b02f9e

It looks like it would keep it clean and dry. My question is how hard is it to take off and put on. I would want to be able to take it out and clean it and store it without the cover to prevent moisture from invading the innards.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky