Thread: Silica gel

Silica gel

I was told my 2-cent piece should be kept very dry and stored in a contanier with silica gel.
    What's silica gel and where can I get it?

My 2-center is in olive oil right now. Should I take it out?

Re: Silica gel

In bulk? I don't know. But almost everything you buy comes with those little sachettes of silca gel beads. One of those would be fine for a small area. You can also recharge them by heating them in the oven for a few minutes.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Should I remove the coin from the olive oil, or leave it in there for a few months?

I think, once it's already coated with EV olive oil, it's too late for a silica packet... but I'm not sure.
    Wait for someone with knowledge to reply before listenin' to me.

Hearing aids are kept in a silica bead storage jar to keep the moisture at bay. The beads last 6 mo. to a year and then need to be dryed in the oven. Thy turn blue when dry. My guess is you can find them little packs on line. Drop one in a baby food jar with coins and that should stop any discoloring....Gil
    "Life is tough, but tougher when your stupid" John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    I think, once it's already coated with EV olive oil, it's too late for a silica packet... but I'm not sure.
    Wait for someone with knowledge to reply before listenin' to me.
    I would leave it in the oil. Let soak and then clean it as best as you can with a toothbrush, soap and water. When you get finished and are satisfied with it, put in a jar with the silica gel pak. Remember the paks won't last forever. They are made to remove moisture. Online supplier http://www.silicagelpackets.com/silica-gel-packets/

You could also put rock salt in a napkin if you wanted to go cheap. Granted you shouldn't let the salt get near your coins or touch the coins after touching the salt.
    [move]White’s MXT Minelab E-Trac Oldest coin: 1875 Indian Head Cent Oldest Silver Coin: 1886 Seated Liberty Dime[/move]

Thanks, guys... I'll leave it in the oil for a few weeks and see what comes of it.
    Thanks for the link, Dave!

One more thing Ever see dry rice in a salt shaker? Don't know if the rice will suck up moisture while stored with coins, but my guess would be yes. Gil
    "Life is tough, but tougher when your stupid" John Wayne

There's all kinds of them ol' home remedies that can help, huh, Gil?
    Our parents did stuff right.
    Although, all this time, I thought the ol' rice-in-th'-salt-shaker trick was to up-plug th' holes!

The olive oil will come off easily with an alcohol bath... then rinse in hot running water and blow dry. Most electronics today come with little silica gel packs in the box... try that. RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector

I keep my coins in little plastic coin bags I got at hobby store-think they were a dollar something per 100,they come in two sizes.check in coin/stamp section-never heard of any one using those little packs.
    knowledge that isn't passed on is wasted

You can get silica gel packs when you buy new shoes too... They are usually in the toes of new shoes.
    From The Pacific Northwest to Orange County...
    White's XLT, Ace 250 - 2010 YTD $4.28

I know I'm bumping up an old thread...but thought you should know I throw in those little packs in many of my boxes that I have my stuff stored in.

Shoes, purses, wallets, you name it, many of those little packs are stuffed in various products today. thumbsup01 I even have one stuffed behind a glassed display to maintain no moisture.