Thread: Brass pipe, complete toy soldier, and another wacky large cent!

Brass pipe, complete toy soldier, and another wacky large cent!

This is a combination of a short hunt I did yesterday evening after class and a todays hunt. Yesterday I went to a spot which I had hammered with my bounty hunter and ace 350. I had never used the AT pro there so I was anxious to see how much stuff I missed. Right of the bat I get a midtone and dig a flat button, my first from this site and what's cool about it is the thread is still around the shank. Really cool. I swing around the cellar and I get a 91-92 signal an inch away from the edge of the foundation. I dig down about 1-2 inches and put my propointer into the hole. I notice the edge of a copper disc sticking out and I reach to pick it up. I turn it over and notice it has holes in it. I thought it was the top of a salt shaker or some strange token. I start to brush it off and I see a head appear and the words Liberty become visible. Turns out its a 1834 Matron Head large cent that someone drilled 8 holes in but didn't drill it all the way through. Very strange considering I dug another large cent in the spring that has been shot 5 times or so. I just don't get what they were trying to do with this one. After digging the largie I headed home because it was getting dark.
    Today I had no class because of a cancellation so I decided to head back to some of my cellars since I hadn't hit them with the 5x8 coil yet. I go to a cellar and get a 60's signal about 2 inches deep and pull out a small flat button with the shank crushed. I move over in the same general area and get another mid tone and pull out a compass but its made of plastic and modern. Still a first for me, I've never dug a compass before. I decide to head back to the cellar I went to on Veterans day and look for stuff I missed. I probably dug about 7 shot gun shells right around the cellar hole itself. That frustrated me so I moved away from the cellar and got a faint tone bouncing from iron numbers all the way up to 93 but its repeatable from all sides so I dig it. I dig a massive plug and get a signal about 10 inches deep. I expect it to be a nail. Instead I pull out a lead toy soldier, complete with the head and everything. It looks old and the soldier looks British or European in nature. My first toy soldier ever!!! I move on to the area where I dug that bottle last week and get a shallow signal in the 60's. I dig a small hole and use the pinpointer to pull out a brass pipe. Its very ornate, I've never seen one like it before buts its awesome. I don't know what it was used for there's no hole to inhale the smoke with. Any ideas? Also got a part to a lantern. I'd say I had a pretty successful hunt!Name:  IMG_4153.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  46.5 KBName:  IMG_4155.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  36.1 KBName:  IMG_4156.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  37.5 KBName:  IMG_4157.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  38.4 KBName:  IMG_4145.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  20.9 KBName:  IMG_4147.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  22.0 KBName:  IMG_4150.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  17.9 KBName:  IMG_4151.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  31.6 KBName:  IMG_4162.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  23.9 KBName:  IMG_4161.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  24.7 KBName:  IMG_4164.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  23.3 KBName:  IMG_4163.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  27.4 KBName:  IMG_4159.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  42.2 KBName:  IMG_4158.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  44.7 KB
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

some very cool items RIdirtdigger , I love the "modified" large cent and your "pipe " is either a cane handle or a parasol (umbrella) handle . very neat item
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Arrow

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  44.6 KB
    This seems a little to small to be a cane handle
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Love the toy soldier....and Dan's call on the "pipe" I am in agreement on. Weirdest LC that I have seen but it looks punched not drilled. You and your ATPro did well today.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Some nice and weird finds. The first button has some fabric still. AL was right it looks punched and I guess it's the umbrella handle then. I gathered it wasn't big when you showed the end. I wonder how old the soldier is.

You are a whacky large cent magnet Those are actually very cool finds.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Very nice finds! I think the soldier is a French or Civil War Zouave. The pipe looking thing is a handle to some type of cabinet. Notice the spot for your thumb. Congrats, I'm glad some folks are still able to get out! HH, Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

I love the large cent... such a unique find... looks like a lego piece almost??? Congrats on all the relics!
    I <3 colonial relics!

I wonder what they used the Large Cent for, it is very uniform in depth and in placement. A ladies parasol would be my guess on the small handle. Very nice finds.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

I agree that the depressions in the large cent look punched, not drilled. You see a lot of coins from the 1800s that have seemingly arbitrary defacement. I honestly think that people sometimes just got bored and did it for their own amusement. Very interesting find!

I really like the lead soldier too. I get a foreign vibe from it, possibly French or Belgian.

Great finds!
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 11-21-2014 at 09:29 AM.
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Love that LC, I would call that several holes in one, LOL!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Yeah, I wonder what that LC is all about. Lots of cool finds!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

neat LC,you can probably say you have a ONE of a KIND LC on that one!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Well, the lantern part you found is bent. Perhaps they were attempting to retrofit the LC for the lantern! In all seriousness though, very cool finds and congrats. I agree with Tony in that it seems these folks just got bored at times way back up in the woods and found goofy things to do from time to time to amuse themselves...like punching holes in coins.

-John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos