Thread: A hunt with the veterans

A hunt with the veterans

After hounding Dan, four of us got out. Finally I got to meet Dave and Todd. They aren't part of the nutty crew, or they were only putting on a show for me to think not. LOl. Nice winter hunt where I was hoping my new gloves showed up. I was warm the whole day except for my hands. The new gloves hadn't arrived before getting out.There was a long drive to get there and none of it was highway. We were watching all the nice old houses and possible town greens to hit. It was a hike to get in to find the cellar hole. Fields were massive in size there. We stopped at what looked like a pen by the side of the road. I pulled a scrap piece of brass. We walked a while up to a barn spot and started hunting. Right up at the barn I got a good signal that disappeared when i dug, but just a foot away i got a higher signal. I dug down and stuck between the rocks was a door handle. The lock is newer as it has a normal key lock. I went up through the briers and vines and just at a clearing I get another signal. I thought it was another lock but after being in the pocket for a bit the dirt inside dried out and fell out. It was some sort of light socket with the electrodes still in it. I was the one to finally found the cellar hole. About 10 feet away I got a signal close to a pull tab. It was hard to pinpoint. I dug down and found a piece of glass, then some ribbed piece of metal. There was a nail and a screw and then a few pieces of a mason jar top. Gahh. I am missing 1 piece from it being complete. Checking the area as I got another signal in the same swing, there was a penny reading. I dug down and out pops a sash buckle half with a nice green patina. Somewhere close between the house and what I figured was driveway I found a small D buckle. At the opening of the wall I found a round ball. I thought it was a large crotal ball as It came out of the ground. Seems like it was actually a brass bed post cap. I had went to get Dave as he was the only one I saw to show the sash buckle and the cellar hole. Now I am thinking I should have taken a pic so Dan and Todd can see it if they go back, and just to know. Dave came up and started swinging around. He spotted the well. On the way back to grab my shovel I got a real nice number. Something like a silver quarter. I pinpointed and then put it back into normal program and this time it was even higher swinging directly over it. Once the leaves were moved away, something was slightly sticking out of the ground. I was prying a little to get it out. The holes made me think it was something having to do with a shoe, until it came out and I see the four main holes. There was a head gasket in the middle of the woods. There was a bit of trash in the area, even an axle. We walked along the road. I got a few hits along the way. Random to find a big deep sea fishing weight in the middle of the woods, and on top of the ground. There was some more hiking but not many more finds. Thanks guys for getting out. Hopefully they didn't mind the time waiting for me to regroup. Obvi the pics interest all. There is some gilt still left on the sash buckle. Not sure if I wanna try to clean it up. The top fold already broke off in my chest pocket. Oh... and sure enough the gloves are waiting in a box on the door step when I get home. I could have used those while I was out.
    Name:  Head gasket.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  49.3 KBName:  Random finds.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  33.2 KBName:  Jar, Post, Sash.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  31.9 KBName:  Front Sash.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  39.4 KBName:  Sash Gilt.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  58.4 KB

The cam wasnt good enough to get the Gilt, I circled it but it's a little larger than what was picked up by camera. Bri, you want the sinker? Lol.

Well that is an eclectic group of finds for sure! When ever I get one of those mason jar ceramic pieces that is complete I save it, maybe make some ind of display somehow!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Very nice variety of finds with great people... great hunt
    I <3 colonial relics!

Save that 3-way rig for yourself Jim. Use it for carp fishing with Lee next summer.

A brisk day to be out for sure. And a helluva crew to be with.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

I was out in the weather yesterday(not detecting) and I can relate about the gloves. Seems to me that some of the items are car related, the head gasket, handle. I also save the mason jar lids (glass part) if they are whole. Glad you got out with the veterans.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Yep, it's about time to change over to winter gloves. I hope yours comes in soon. Lots of targets, how long were you guys hunting?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Al, maybe but I think that head gasket it monstrous. I figure it was for a tractor. Those 30s and 40's flat heads it might fit. The copper in it made it sound so sweet of a signal. That handle although up at barn could be door handle for car. It was 40's and 50's with that short stubby style right? Weird the trash was more 20's according to Dan.

Those mason jar lids I almost thought they were brtitle plastic at first. I have like 5 of the old ball mason ones from early 1900 with thick lids and they are clear.

Bri, I'm taking lee fishing? He may be a butcher but I think he will say he'll stay away from those smelly buggahs.

Drew, apparently I write too much. It was stuck at the end somewhere. The gloves did come in... it just figures it happened to arrive after I needed 'em. We were in the woods a total of 6 hours including all the walking done.

All, thanks. I'd say I'm content with the buckle. It was nice coming out of the ground. Dan, I have more of a feeling about the actual house area we [I]did[/I ]find. Another time.

Jim , sorry for the late reply .... the handle looks like its from a truck bed cap I think that one site wasn't too far from where i first mistook that hunter for Dave we will have to do it again ... but with better results
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

nice to finally meet ya Jim.that's the way it goes soemtimes walking into unchartered territory,ya never know what your gonna find or not find.it's a crap shoot with cellar holes,especially going to find some that you never been to.ya pulled more targets than i did!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Dan, I didn't know there was a time limit to replying a post. Now I know there's more to get upset about. Haha. Jk. You might be right about the handle. Maybe was from a hunter. Prob way before the old road was blocked. Maybe the head gasket was cuz the hunter's truck broke down out there. Lol.

Dave, it mat have been a hard site there were still some moderate targets. Maybe since I was the only one with concentric that's why I got more? Jk. Just happened to put coil above the spots necessary. Once I found the few targets in a row I realized I found the old driveway leading right toward the hole in rock wall and up by the well. I know all too well you just never know about a site. The small park I was going on a whim no one knew of it and I was kind of right, but the two times back I haven't found much beyond clad. I took all the good stuff the first time there. It was nice to get out with you guys and hope it can happen again. Don't worry... I was thinking it was possible I got more targets but I didn't see everything you got AND I didn't wanna gloat if it was true.

You done well Jim all things considered. The cellar holes we find aren't usually littered with 1900-1940 trash but like Dave says, it's a crap shoot.Was nice to meet ya and thanks Dan for the get together.
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Thanks Todd. I would contest that a little. There are about 6 cellar holes I found in the same area. While we were out you asked me and I mentioned a bit. One was an old school house with a mill and a house near it. I only did around the school house so far. We were finding some strange things and bottles just around the prohibition time. It must have been used as a dump in the 30's. Thanks for the words tho Todd. It was good to get out, I hope it can happen again. I'm gonna try to make the best of the 4 day weekend coming up. And.... today the place I hit the owner said another guy tried hitting out back in the fields and I actually found better stuff than he did.