Thread: Deep Nickels, Silver & 1904 St.Louis Worlds Fair Token

Deep Nickels, Silver & 1904 St.Louis Worlds Fair Token

Digger Al and I headed out This morning to try a rural park we found on Google Earth.
    Let me start by saying Alec kicked my butt today.
    We weren't there 10 minutes and Alec dug his second signal, a Barber Dime. I dug a Wheat. Half hour later, he dug another Barber Dime. I dug a Wheat. . About an hour later he digs a Buffalo Nickel. This time I followed with a 1903 Barber Dime. A while later, he digs another Buffalo. Then I get a 12-09 at 8 inches and dig an 1887 V Nickel. (My First Ever, and our oldest nickel).
    Just before we left, Alec dug a 1902 Indian. We both dug a bunch of Jeffersons. All the coins at this park were 6 inches or deeper.
    We stopped at one more park before the 2 1/2 hour drive home. I got a couple more wheats & a Susan B. Dollar. Alec dug a 1919 Buffalo, and a really nice 1904 St. Louis worlds fair token. It rang up 12-46-47 and was 9 inches deep.
    Attached Images Attached Images            
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

You guys had another great day! Sorry I wasn't able to join you. For some reason it is very difficult to find V Nickels from the 1800s, even harder to find them from the 1880s. Congrats on your first! Very cool that it was an 1887. You guys have locked on to those nickel signals!

Gotta love three Barber Dimes too! Even the old man got one!

I really love that St. Louis Worlds Fair token! I've never seen on like it. VERY COOL!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Good finds Don and Alec! A great assortment of early coins. That's always the sign of a good spot. Funny, I also dug a 1909-O barber dime today! I like the token! It's pure Americana that's for sure. HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Another successful hunt. Three Barber dimes would make my year. The World Fair token is pretty neat and I have never seen one like it. WTG on the early V.
    on all those keepers. How was your weather today?
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Another successful hunt. Three Barber dimes would make my year. The World Fair token is pretty neat and I have never seen one like it. WTG on the early V.
    on all those keepers. How was your weather today?
    Thanks Al. Its been freezing here all week . But, today it was in the 50s. Very comfortable detecting today.

Silver 5

Nice finds. I'm shocked you are fixated on the V whilst it is kinda strange to pick up the sba. And three barbers at the same place is a little shocking too. It's not a surprise they were there, but that they were all found at the same hunt. There aren't many tokens out this way to find so with that aspect you guys are lucky.

Sounds like y'all had a great day. Especially congrats on the V nickel. It never ceases to amaze me that y'all drive over 2 hours to hunt. If I travel 20 miles, it better be gold in that dirt. Thanks for the report and the vivid pics.
    Garrett AT Pro - Garrett Pro Pointer - 5x8 DD Coil - Understanding Wife

Oldest Coin:1930 Wheat Penny
    Jewelry:10K Man's Wedding Band, 10K Mother's Ring, Stainless Man's Wedding Band, Stainless Batman Ring
    2017 Clad $0.00

Elite Member
    Nice batch of coins. Some nice looking Barbers. WD
    Total silver 3 - Goal 50 (2024 Finds) - 0 Washington - 0 Barber Dimes - 0 Mercury Dimes- - 3 Roosevelt Dimes - 0 V Nickels - 0 Buffalos - 0 War Nickels - 0 Indian - 10 Wheats - $ 3.44 in clad
    Relics: MILESTONES since 2012: 1700 silver coins - 8000 Clad Quarters - 500 Roosevelts - 750 Mercury Dimes

[QUOTE=mownomo;179001]Sounds like y'all had a great day. Especially congrats on the V nickel. It never ceases to amaze me that y'all drive over 2 hours to hunt. If I travel 20 miles, it better be gold in that dirt. Thanks for the report and the vivid pics.[/QUOTE

We make road trips like that all the time, the parks in my area dried up years ago. I drove 398 miles Saturday. It's just quality time with my son. ( when he's not sleeping )
    When I door knock, i usually won't drive more than 20 miles.

Silver 5

Love them buffalo nickels. I read an article recently saying people of that era didn't really care for the design, but I can't agree with them.

Congrats to you and Al you guys really cleaned up on them barbers and old nickels yet another great father/son hunt
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

congrats to the both of you on your hunt love them barbers and also the token i can tell you one thing i take my grandson sometimes once he found a franklin half quess who has never found a franklin half but it is worth it to see their faces when they get the best of you it is something the two of you will always remember and thats priceless again congrats on a great hunt

More triple trifectas. Of buffs and silver even. Nice digging Don!

2 1/2 hours seems like a really long ride to those of us who live in a state the size of a large airport.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Excellent Digg! Buffalo! Buffalo! One , Two Three!

I can not imagine three Buffalos all in one day (or three barbers either). I have quite a few V nickles but have never put my coil over a Buffalo.
    V3i and Eagle Spectrum.

Oldest Coin 1813 Large Cent
    Favorite Coin 1907 Barber Quarter