Thread: Trime & Fugio

Trime & Fugio

After Friday's bust of a hunt I was really wanting to get out again Saturday to save what humility I had left Sorry Jim the friday hunt was a disappointing one but sometimes this is what you get on new sites .

So Saturday I meet "the boys" and we head out just before sunrise , all dressed for hunting season we saw a couple of hunters on the way to the first sight. Not even twenty minutes into detecting i get my first copper , it wasn't great signal and only one way because of iron nearby. I retrieve the nail head and said to myself (this didn't make that tone) so sure enough i went over the hole again and i get a solid copper tone that was a couple inches deeper in the hole . even though it was a bit dark still I could see the rings on the reverse .

a 1787 fugio penny and now the pressure was off me and on Dave and Todd . just after I shown them the coin I saw the sun rise up through the trees so i snapped a picture.

One thing not to do around Dave and Todd is to put pressure on them to produce finds very shortly Todd had a copper , then Dave finds a coins spill and well not just any coin spill either , lucky ???

Before we moved on from that site I did recover a trime of my own

The rest of the day just produced a few buttons (all pretty common flat or tombac types) a couple of large caliber musket ball (one dropped) and a trio of shoe buckle chapes that someone "strung" together which I thought was pretty unusual and cool.

a couple location or action shots

the days goods

the trime leaned up

a better shot of the fugio , its the "united states" reverse type when i get it cleaned up i'll post more picture of it .

Thanks again Dave & Todd for a great day .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Nice digs! Way to salvage the weekend!!

Dan, having read Dave and Todd's posts I knew that you had the other trime...... The Fugio looks great, good job digging on a one way signal. Weird finding 3 buckle chapes all together like that. It's been a pleasure reading all the posts associated with this hunt, total redemption for all...
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Dan... what a terrific hunt that is... the fugio and trime are awesome finds... but my favorite is the stringed together shoe buckle frames.........

Ummm............ why??? and how???? How were the shoe buckle frames stringed together in the first place because they are solid brass... what... did someone melt the brass and put it back together again to put the other shoe buckle inside that to make it into a chain like that??? and why would they take out pieces from shoe buckles and make it into that anyway??? Such an interesting and mysterious find IMO... very cool finds man! Hopefully we will all be able to get out again in December...

GL and HH

Isaac
    I <3 colonial relics!

way to go Dan! some great shots and some nice coins.it was a three themed day.woke up at 3 am,3 guys,3 chapes,3 trimes
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Quote Originally Posted by kray View Post
    Nice digs! Way to salvage the weekend!!
    Thanks Ray , just getting out again was great . Don't know how many weekends we have left before the dreaded white stuff falls.

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff View Post
    Dan, having read Dave and Todd's posts I knew that you had the other trime...... The Fugio looks great, good job digging on a one way signal. Weird finding 3 buckle chapes all together like that. It's been a pleasure reading all the posts associated with this hunt, total redemption for all...
    Al pulling a fugio this late in the season is a gift , just hope i can id the type and it cleans up well. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Dan... what a terrific hunt that is... the fugio and trime are awesome finds... but my favorite is the stringed together shoe buckle frames.........

Ummm............ why??? and how???? How were the shoe buckle frames stringed together in the first place because they are solid brass... what... did someone melt the brass and put it back together again to put the other shoe buckle inside that to make it into a chain like that??? and why would they take out pieces from shoe buckles and make it into that anyway??? Such an interesting and mysterious find IMO... very cool finds man! Hopefully we will all be able to get out again in December...

GL and HH

Isaac
    Isaac the middle buckle chape has a small break that was probably bent just enough to slide the other two into it and then bent back , just what they were doing will have to remain a mystery . I think its a great "odd" find to recover . I hope the weather holds off too . thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    way to go Dan! some great shots and some nice coins.it was a three themed day.woke up at 3 am,3 guys,3 chapes,3 trimes
    yeah , i had trouble retieving them pictures from my phone (thank god for teenagers ) but they came out alright.It was a fun day , the fugio will stay like it is until i can id it then i have my doubts about its roughness. we'll see , hey I did recover an Indian (thought it was a wheaty). thanks Dave
    Last edited by del; 11-24-2014 at 03:52 AM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Wow, two beautiful coins, Dan!

I want to find a trime so bad. Ah well, that's what keeps things interesting, always having goals.

The Fugio looks pretty good like it is, at least from what we can see of the reverse. That is another amazing coin that I can only dream about finding.

The strung together buckle chapes are very interesting indeed! Very cool and unusual.

Congrats on the terrific hunt, Dan!
    Lifetime totals:
    9 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 19 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Congrats there Dan. At least all you got redemption for the weekend. I needed less redemption so I only walked away with one silver. Lol. I wanna get one of those trimes. I hope the snow holds off too. Heard some for Wed. ugh. And right before a four day weekend comind where I can get out a lot. The Fugio is still something I wanna find. Places which could have those items I have been to, yet they still elude me.

You had a fantastic hunt there Del the chain cent sure does look in good shape

on the Fugio Dan. One of my favorite coins. Nice looking trime too !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Holy Cow! A Fugio...sigh the "Things that dreams are made of" simply wonderful! Then a Trime what is it with Trimes everybody and their brother are digging them....well you and Dave anyway

What a lovely day that must have been for you and thanks for sharing with us!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Awesome Finds Dan! Love that pic with the sun coming up! Looks like a nice wide open area.
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Great sunrise pic Dan, it's perfect. You had a god day with a nice variety of finds. I really like the three chapes, very unusual. It was a successful day for all
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Great finds Dan. That Trime is truly a cool coin. So darn small.
    The Fugio is an amazing and rare find.
    Congrats on those and all the rest of your finds.
    Last edited by Digger Don; 11-24-2014 at 06:16 PM.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 4
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Dan, that was a heck of a hunt you guys had. Must have been nice to find the fugio so quickly (takes the pressure off ). Hopefully the snow stays at bay a little while longer- hoping to get out on the long weekend. Congrats on a great day hunting with some great guys.

Awesomeness! Hey, how did the fugio come out? Excellent day, congrats!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

WTG Dan. Grats on the Fugio, Trime and other outstanding finds.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

What a great day hunting you guys had. If I didn't hate winter so much I would move up that way to detect the awesome places you guys find. congrats on the Super digs.
    Whites VX3 with Sunray Probe, 10x12 SEF, 8x6 SEF, 10dd, 6x10Eclipse, 4x6 Eclipse, Lesche digger and Garrett Pro Pointer.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar
    Congrats on some great finds, WTG.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Great finds Dan. Man you guys need to name that site the Trime Hole, or something to that effect.

-John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos